error installing activestate packages with 5.6.1

  • Anthony Barker
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi

      I am using 5.6.1 of ActiveState perl (unfortunately must be Windoze
      2000).
      Trying to install different pod packages.

      Get the error:

      Error installing package 'Net-DNS': Read a PPD for 'Net-DNS', but it
      is not intended for this build of Perl (MSWin32-x86-multi-thread).

      Also go to activestate site directly, download and install from hard
      drive - same error. Tried many other packages... all same error.

      Is there a problem with this version of ActiveState? I read somewhere
      else that another person downgraded his version and the error went
      away.

      Any suggestions?

      Anthony Barker
    • Cam Coble
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2001
        Having a problem understanding context here...

        I have two perl files:
        A_perl.pl
        B_perl.pl

        Script A has environment
        >use strict;
        >require './B_perl.pl';

        and declairs variables by
        >my ($scalar,@list,%hash);

        Now, how do I get a variable into a sub in B_perl.pl from A_perl.pl without
        passing as an argument?
        I need all types of variables... lists and hashes too.

        Script works by passing as arguments, but only scalars.

        Thanks for the help,
        Cam
      • Anthony Barker
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2001
          Reinstalled - seems to have fixed it for now....

          Anthony
        • Damien Carbery
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
            I believe you can easily pass lists and hashes to functions as
            parameters, but you have to be careful with the parameter order.
            I think you have to pass your scalars first, otherwise they'll be
            swallowed into the list or hash.

            This should work:
            sub scalar_then_hash
            {
            my ( $scalar, %hash ) = @_;
            # Do stuff
            }

            scalar_then_hash( $Value, %Hash );

            while this shouldn't:
            sub hash_then_scalar
            {
            my ( %hash, $scalar ) = @_;
            # Do stuff
            }

            hash_then_scalar( %Hash, $Value );
            because the %hash is greedy.

            Of course, I could be wrong.

          • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2001
              You can also pass references to hashes and arrays. If you are on UNIX/LINUX
              type "man perlref" (without quotes) for more info. If that doesn't work I
              believe the document is available from www.perl.com

              Erik Tank
              602-817-4705
              erik.tank@...

              I believe you can easily pass lists and hashes to functions as
              parameters, but you have to be careful with the parameter order.
              I think you have to pass your scalars first, otherwise they'll be
              swallowed into the list or hash.

              This should work:
              sub scalar_then_hash
              {
              my ( $scalar, %hash ) = @_;
              # Do stuff
              }

              scalar_then_hash( $Value, %Hash );

              while this shouldn't:
              sub hash_then_scalar
              {
              my ( %hash, $scalar ) = @_;
              # Do stuff
              }

              hash_then_scalar( %Hash, $Value );
              because the %hash is greedy.

              Of course, I could be wrong.

              --- In perl-beginner@y..., Cam Coble <tech@u...> wrote:
              > Having a problem understanding context here...
              >
              > I have two perl files:
              > A_perl.pl
              > B_perl.pl
              >
              > Script A has environment
              > >use strict;
              > >require './B_perl.pl';
              >
              > and declairs variables by
              > >my ($scalar,@list,%hash);
              >
              > Now, how do I get a variable into a sub in B_perl.pl from A_perl.pl
              without
              > passing as an argument?
              > I need all types of variables... lists and hashes too.
              >
              > Script works by passing as arguments, but only scalars.
              >
              > Thanks for the help,
              > Cam

            • Jenda Krynicky
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 7, 2001
              • Jenda Krynicky
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 7, 2001
                  > I am using 5.6.1 of ActiveState perl (unfortunately must be Windoze
                  > 2000). Trying to install different pod packages.
                  >
                  > Get the error:
                  >
                  > Error installing package 'Net-DNS': Read a PPD for 'Net-DNS', but it
                  > is not intended for this build of Perl (MSWin32-x86-multi-thread).

                  You are probably trying to download the files from a wrong directory.

                  what address do you get for "ActiveState Package Repository" from

                  c:\>PPM
                  PPM> set

                  I have
                  "http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PPM/ppmserver.pl?urn:/PPMServer"
                  and all seems to work OK.

                  > Also go to activestate site directly, download and install from hard
                  > drive - same error. Tried many other packages... all same error.

                  Wrong directory.

                  Try http://www.activestate.com/PPMPackages/zips/6xx-builds-only/

                  Jenda

                  == Jenda@... == http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz ==
                  : What do people think?
                  What, do people think? :-)
                  -- Larry Wall in <199808071736.KAA12738@...>
                • Sidharth Malhotra
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 7, 2001
                    use packages.
                    at the top of A.pl insert:

                    package A;

                    and

                    package B;

                    at the top of B.pl You can then access the variables as:
                    $A::scalar, %A::hash, $A::hash{'elem'}, @B::Arr, $B::Arr[i]; # you get the
                    idea

                    hth. Sid.

                    > Having a problem understanding context here...
                    >
                    > I have two perl files:
                    > A_perl.pl
                    > B_perl.pl
                    >
                    > Script A has environment
                    > >use strict;
                    > >require './B_perl.pl';
                    >
                    > and declairs variables by
                    > >my ($scalar,@list,%hash);
                    >
                    > Now, how do I get a variable into a sub in B_perl.pl from A_perl.pl
                    > without passing as an argument? I need all types of variables... lists
                    > and hashes too.
                  • Jenda Krynicky
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 8, 2001
                      > I believe you can easily pass lists and hashes to functions as
                      > parameters, but you have to be careful with the parameter order.
                      > I think you have to pass your scalars first, otherwise they'll be
                      > swallowed into the list or hash.
                      >
                      > This should work:
                      > sub scalar_then_hash
                      > {
                      > my ( $scalar, %hash ) = @_;
                      > # Do stuff
                      > }
                      >
                      > scalar_then_hash( $Value, %Hash );

                      Just two important things :
                      1) You can't pass several arrays or hashes this way :

                      sub foo{
                      my (@a, @b) = @_;
                      print "Length of \@a = ",scalar(@a),"\n";
                      print "Length of \@b = ",scalar(@b),"\n";
                      }

                      @x = (1,3,5);
                      @y = (2,4,6);
                      foo(@x,@y);

                      2) You are actualy not passing the array or the hash ... you only
                      pass one long list. foo() will see NO difference between

                      foo(1,2,3,4,5);
                      and
                      @a = (2,3,4,5);
                      foo(1,@a);
                      or
                      foo(1,%a);

                      This means that you for eample cannot update a hash you passed
                      this way. Plus you force perl to flatten your hash into a list and
                      then construct a new hash with those keys and values.

                      Realy IF YOU WANT TO PASS AN ARRAY OR A HASH PASS A
                      REFERENCE.