Re: [PBML] Easy way to learn Perl

  • Daniel Gardner
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
      L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.

      Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
      very good and will teach you everything you need to know.

      Once you've mastered Learning Perl then buy Programming
      Perl, which is a slightly more advanced look at the
      language. these are the standard two books that every perl
      programmer should have. totally worth the money.

      hth,
      daniel
    • Anthony Barker
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        I would get a copy of Elements of Programming With Perl by Andrew L.
        Johnson.

        This is the best book I have found for beginning programmers. The
        author also has a website of excellent articles he has written. But I
        recommend the book for those new to programming. About.com has a
        fairly good list of Perl tutorials if you don't want to spend the money.

        Also Look for Randal Schwartz(sp?)
        www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/

        All his good articles are on line there - many are a bit above the
        beginner though...

        Anthony Barker

        --- In perl-beginner@y..., Daniel Gardner <daniel@d...> wrote:
        > L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a
        site or a
        > L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really
        beginner point.

        > Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
        > very good and will teach you everything you need to know.
        >
        > Once you've mastered Learning Perl then buy Programming
        > Perl, which is a slightly more advanced look at the
        > language. these are the standard two books that every perl
        > programmer should have. totally worth the money.
        >
        > hth,
        > daniel
      • Jason
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          Check out the website below.....

          http://www.netcat.co.uk/rob/perl/win32perltut.html

          Honestly, being new to Perl a few months ago, I printed his BIG tutor
          page and went through it. I have not found a better hands-on
          introduction yet. His site easily answered a question or two that I
          could NOT get answered easily in the Osborne book called The Complete
          Reference: Perl Second Edition. I even emailed the guy and let him
          know what I thought!

          Jason

          --- In perl-beginner@y..., Luis <luis@p...> wrote:
          > Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site
          or a
          > free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really
          beginner point.
          > What I mean is that I dont know anything about perl. I just finished
          > installing linux on my box (redhat7.1) I do know that perl is
          located in

          > /usr/bin/perl
          >
          > I'm very new to the programing scene so i'm sorry for asking a
          stupid
          > question.
          >
          > Thank you all hope that you guys have a nice day.
          >

          > Luis
        • Robert D. Crawford
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            According to the author (Mr. Schwartz (sp?) is a regular on another list
            that I read) the third edition, which should be out soon, is a complete
            rewrite based on his and other's experience teaching perl. The Llama2 is
            a good resource, but you might want to wait for the Llama3. As far as
            some good tutorials try:

            http://perl.about.com
            http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=Tutorials
            http://www.devdaily.com/Dir/Perl/Articles_and_Tutorials
            http://www.sharemation.com/~perl/tut

            On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Daniel Gardner wrote:

            :L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
            :L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.
            :
            :Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
            :very good and will teach you everything you need to know.
            :

            Robert D. Crawford rdc@...
            http://dennysprojects.virtualave.net icq#: 4976978

            Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!
          • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              This is not to knock books but for my style of learning I was able to pick
              up Perl from a very basic tutorial. The rest has come from (mainly) coding,
              looking at code, asking questions to co-workers and on lists like this.

              Don't get me wrong. I can go weeks without seeing the top of my desk due to
              the number of books, magazines, and other printed material I have on hand.
              However when it comes down to programming it seems that the book is always 1
              step shy of what I want to do ;-).

              First place I always go for a good tutorial is Google. Try:
              "what_ever_language tutorial" or "howto what_ever_language". I do have to
              say that the links posted so far are awesome!

              P.S. - If you are on a Linux system or a Unix system don't forget to look at
              the man pages. I know that I have always ignored them, but am learning to
              love them.

              Good luck,

              Erik Tank
              602-817-4705