Easy way to learn Perl

  • Luis
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
      free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.
      What I mean is that I dont know anything about perl. I just finished
      installing linux on my box (redhat7.1) I do know that perl is located in

      /usr/bin/perl

      I'm very new to the programing scene so i'm sorry for asking a stupid
      question.

      Thank you all hope that you guys have a nice day.

      Luis
    • Daniel Gardner
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
        L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
        L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.

        Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
        very good and will teach you everything you need to know.

        Once you've mastered Learning Perl then buy Programming
        Perl, which is a slightly more advanced look at the
        language. these are the standard two books that every perl
        programmer should have. totally worth the money.

        hth,
        daniel
      • Anthony Barker
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
          I would get a copy of Elements of Programming With Perl by Andrew L.
          Johnson.

          This is the best book I have found for beginning programmers. The
          author also has a website of excellent articles he has written. But I
          recommend the book for those new to programming. About.com has a
          fairly good list of Perl tutorials if you don't want to spend the money.

          Also Look for Randal Schwartz(sp?)
          www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/

          All his good articles are on line there - many are a bit above the
          beginner though...

          Anthony Barker

          --- In perl-beginner@y..., Daniel Gardner <daniel@d...> wrote:
          > L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a
          site or a
          > L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really
          beginner point.

          > Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
          > very good and will teach you everything you need to know.
          >
          > Once you've mastered Learning Perl then buy Programming
          > Perl, which is a slightly more advanced look at the
          > language. these are the standard two books that every perl
          > programmer should have. totally worth the money.
          >
          > hth,
          > daniel
        • Jason
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
            Check out the website below.....

            http://www.netcat.co.uk/rob/perl/win32perltut.html

            Honestly, being new to Perl a few months ago, I printed his BIG tutor
            page and went through it. I have not found a better hands-on
            introduction yet. His site easily answered a question or two that I
            could NOT get answered easily in the Osborne book called The Complete
            Reference: Perl Second Edition. I even emailed the guy and let him
            know what I thought!

            Jason

            --- In perl-beginner@y..., Luis <luis@p...> wrote:
            > Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site
            or a
            > free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really
            beginner point.
            > What I mean is that I dont know anything about perl. I just finished
            > installing linux on my box (redhat7.1) I do know that perl is
            located in

            > /usr/bin/perl
            >
            > I'm very new to the programing scene so i'm sorry for asking a
            stupid
            > question.
            >
            > Thank you all hope that you guys have a nice day.
            >

            > Luis
          • Robert D. Crawford
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
              According to the author (Mr. Schwartz (sp?) is a regular on another list
              that I read) the third edition, which should be out soon, is a complete
              rewrite based on his and other's experience teaching perl. The Llama2 is
              a good resource, but you might want to wait for the Llama3. As far as
              some good tutorials try:

              http://perl.about.com
              http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node=Tutorials
              http://www.devdaily.com/Dir/Perl/Articles_and_Tutorials
              http://www.sharemation.com/~perl/tut

              On Wed, 1 Aug 2001, Daniel Gardner wrote:

              :L> Hi I'm new to the perl world. I was wondering if anyone knew a site or a
              :L> free courses on the web that would teach perl from a really beginner point.
              :
              :Get a copy of the O'Reilly book Learning Perl - it's really
              :very good and will teach you everything you need to know.
              :

              Robert D. Crawford rdc@...
              http://dennysprojects.virtualave.net icq#: 4976978

              Preserve wildlife -- pickle a squirrel today!
            • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2001
                This is not to knock books but for my style of learning I was able to pick
                up Perl from a very basic tutorial. The rest has come from (mainly) coding,
                looking at code, asking questions to co-workers and on lists like this.

                Don't get me wrong. I can go weeks without seeing the top of my desk due to
                the number of books, magazines, and other printed material I have on hand.
                However when it comes down to programming it seems that the book is always 1
                step shy of what I want to do ;-).

                First place I always go for a good tutorial is Google. Try:
                "what_ever_language tutorial" or "howto what_ever_language". I do have to
                say that the links posted so far are awesome!

                P.S. - If you are on a Linux system or a Unix system don't forget to look at
                the man pages. I know that I have always ignored them, but am learning to
                love them.

                Good luck,

                Erik Tank
                602-817-4705