[PBML] beginning perl

  • Alexander, Willis, JR (Willis)** CTR **
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 1999
      Hi,
      I am looking for a perl tutorial that caters to beginners.
      I have subscribed to several email lists,but they seem
      to be for more advanced students.

      Thanks in Advance,

      Willis..............

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/perl-beginner
    • Carmelo Rengifo A.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 1999
        Hello!

        It is the address of a Page with information about FAQs and
        "Tables of Contents" about some of the Best Tutorials on the Web.

        http://www.bebezau.net/perl/

        Here you will find the "descriptions" and "the table of contents" about some
        of the best Perl Tutorials that I have selected. This information will make
        your life easier. By example:

        - The Best Tutorials about Perl... (10 Pages with descriptions and tables of
        contents):
        1. Simple Perl Database By Brent Michalski
        Brent shows a working example from a database done
        with Perl. He also explain how a simple database works
        and how you can use these methods to create your own
        databases. All scripts are commented step by step.
        This tutorial is excellent!
        Table of content:

        url: http://www.inlink.com/~perlguy/

        2. Common Gateway Interface Tutorial By Zhanshou Yu.
        Common Gateway Interface (CGI) Tutorial is a excellent
        tutorial about programming Perl and CGI. It has a lot of
        information and 5 explained scripts, step by step. It is
        one of the completest tutorials.
        Table of content:

        3. CGI Programming 101
        4. CGI Made Really Easy

        - Special Tutorials about Perl... (three pages and one link)
        Cool Tricks With Perl and Apache By Lincoln D. Stein.
        This tutorial is complete course whith a lot of information
        and scripts about Perl: Webserver; Scripts that illustrate
        the four basic types of CGI scripting for "dynamic documents,
        document filtering, and URL redirection"; and mod_perl Doug
        MacEachern's embedded Perl for Apache. It is Excellent! This
        information is a Perl Conference 2.0!
        Dr. Stein in a good teacher!

        Perl for Win32 - Basic Tutorial

        - Perl FAQs... (five links)
        1. Apache Server FAQ
        2. FAQ for CGI Made Really Easy

        Also, I recommend you this book:
        Learning Perl by Randal L Schwartz (ed O´reilly)
        The table of contents of this book is on the server of O´Reilly Books:
        http://www.ora.com/

        and in Amazon, you can to obtain comments about it.

        > Hi,
        > I am looking for a perl tutorial that caters to beginners.
        > I have subscribed to several email lists,but they seem
        > to be for more advanced students.
        > Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks in Advance,
        >

        > Willis..............

        > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/perl-beginner Free Web-based
        > e-mail groups by eGroups.com

        *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
        PC Maracay: Una revista electrónica gratuita sobre
        computación y programas sharewares, disponible en:
        http://members.tripod.com/~crengifo/
        http://www.bebezau.net/maracay/

        Si no deseas continuar recibiendo esta información,
        envía un mensaje con le palabra unsuscribe en el
        asunto (subject) del mensaje.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/perl-beginner
      • madstone@bardo.clearlight.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 1999
          Jeffery wrote a few months ago:

          Here's a resource that may help some of you:

          CGI Programming 101 (online
          course) http://www.cgi101.com/class/

          --
          Jeffery Boes < jboe-@... >

        • sheldon.smith@compaq.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 1999
            <dbaa10208a5fd211b57b0008c7281246324de-@nj7460exch006u> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner/?start=44
            > Hi,
            > I am looking for a perl tutorial that caters to beginners.

            In another mailing list, I wrote a short article about beginning
            programming with C/C++ and/or Perl. Here's an excerpt.

            "Perl is newer than the C family, so there aren't quite as many books.
            One that I can recommend is "Learning Perl", written by Randal
            Schwartz[2].
            General information about Perl is available at www.perl.com, and at
            CPAN (Comprehensive Perl Archive Network) http://www.cpan.org/ .
            Like the simtel.net site, CPAN is mirrored all over the globe. Find the
            site nearest you.

            To date I've located a tutorial at http://consult.ncsa.uiuc.edu/cgi-bin
            / . If you want it and can't find it anywhere else, let me know. I'll
            mail you a copy (if I haven't misplaced it).

            "The script we'll be writing, called mailform, will be useful to anyone
            who has wanted to create some interactive pages on the World Wide Web.
            Web servers usually support running auxilary programs to facilitate
            interactive content. There is a standard called CGI (Common Gateway
            Interface) which defines a minimum set of environment variables that
            the program can use to determine its response.
            "The program we write will take the results of an HTML form and mail
            the values to a specified person. Writing the HTML for this form is
            beyond the scope of this course, but a sample form will be provided."

            ---------------
            [2]Published by O'Reilly & Associates, Inc., "Learning Perl" has a
            sketch of a llama on the front. The "official" language reference of
            Perl, "Programming Perl", written by Larry Wall (and others, including
            Randal Schwartz), is also published by O'Reilly. It has a sketch of a
            camel on the front. I have yet to find a bad (or even mediocre)
            O'Reilly book. And I've bought enough of them.
            Out in the Usenet newgroups, comp.lang.perl.misc is the main source
            for help with Perl. Get the FAQ before you start posting questions.
            When you see references to the "camel" and "llama" books, the above are
            what are being referenced.

            <end>

            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/perl-beginner