Re: [PBML] I know this 2...

  • Ankur Agarwal
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
      Hi Alberto,
          I can very well understand your problem. I am myself a beginner in perl. Thanks to this list, I got my first program running on the very first day of my posting it here. But I had spent almost a week figuring out how to get my program running, before that.

      Well, I can suggest you a temporary solution. (I set out with it as a temporary solution, but now it is with me permanently.) I downloaded Perl Builder from www.solutionsoft.com . All you have to do is to type in your code and press the start button. And lo...your program works fine without any configuration. It has a very good debugger too. (Maybe I was lucky enough to have all my active perl files in the right directories!)

      Hope this helps.
      Ankur.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
        Thank you, the problem is that I cannot install activePerl, they told me at
        activestate they are aware of this bug when installing on win2000 and will
        be fixed with the next release... in the meanwhile I am always here waiting
        to be able to finally start debuggin my first scripts... :(
        Is that program shareware, namely stop functioning after the 14 days?
        Thank you for the hint but so far seems that i'm stuck to, say, "forced
        ignorance".
        This reveals how much we'd need an IDE for Perl that could be simple and
        ready without all this hassle: these problem may be a windows issue, but in
        any case harm the perl community: after all a standard becomes a standard
        because more and more people get involved in it. We still have problems, it
        seems, in getting willing people get *really* started with Perl. Too
        strange we cannot have sort of a "straightforward" program: maybe I'm naif:
        just click and get it..... "building dynamic HTML GUIs"...
        bye!

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
          Well, in the meanwhile I wait for the next fixed version ov the activePerl
          for win2000, one thing I have not clear (I know it is a one penny question,
          but this is why i joined a beginners' list):
          the method
          print
          is meant to always hold parehtesis like JavaScript methods.
          I see most of the time they don't use them on perl,
          print $myVar;

          Question is: could I get the habit to always use the brackets, it would fit
          my habits with javaScript you see:
          print($myVar);

          correct? Or I'm going to meet troubles if I get this habit?

          thank you very much

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
            I am sorry, I forgot to mention, I am also using win 2000 pro. And I had no problem installing Active Perl.

            Yes, the Perl Builder is a shareware. It expires after 14 days.

            Ankur.