Simple Database for Email Addresses

  • Will K.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
      Greetings Folks,

      Databasing newbie here... I've been trying to learn how to do data driven
      sites without much luck, but I came up with a simple DB design idea that may
      make the learning go better.

      Can anyone tell me how to set up a simple, yet non-flat-file, database for
      storing email addresses?

      I was planning to use MySQL with Perl or PHP. The table might be as simple
      as a few columns for first/last names and email addresses. If I can simply
      get it so people can upload their email addresses to the DB from off of the
      web (a far cry from scanning a db and manipulating data relationally), then
      I think I should knock a big hole in my ignorance.

      Any help much appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Will K.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2001
        Personally, MySQL is the way to go if you are creating a database. You will
        need to get MySQL (www.mysql.com) and from CPAN you will want to get the
        DBI-1.18 and Msql-Mysql-modules-1.2216 modules. This will allow you to
        connect to the MySQL database from Perl. Also good MySQL clients are
        MySQL-Front (www.download.com) for windows or MysqlTool (www.icewalk.com)
        for linux. The clients make is really easy to create a database and tables.

        Hope that helps,

        Erik Tank
        602-817-4705
        erik.tank@...