Thankyou everyone...

  • Franki
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi all,,

      Just wanted to say thankyou to all of you for helping out,, I have learned
      heaps from this list over the last year...

      regex and learning the availability and use of various modules are the two
      biggies I have still to learn properly...
      (how do you guys know what modules to use for what? I always get quick
      answers from this list with regard to modules,, so I am wondering where you
      get your info,, It can't be CPAN as the layout of that site is not conducive
      to quick searches...

      Thanks heaps, its all working together nicely now...

      one question I still have though..

      In a NT/2000 server enviroment, I hate the fact that you can't require files
      in different directories without specifying the path explicly ... ie
      $paTh="c:/inetpub/scripts/";

      in linux/unix which is what I usually right for, you can use stuff like
      ./../somefile.pl in a require statement and it works just great... NT
      doesn't like it at all and prints lots of lovely error messages to tell you
      so...

      So, my last question is this,,

      if I do something like this:

      my $PaTh="$ENV{'PATH_TRANSLATED'}";

      that path would translate to something like "c:/inetpub/scripts/testfile.pl"

      now if I used regex to remove the testfile.pl (or whatever file is after the
      last /)

      is it safe to use that resulting path as the path to require the other libs?
      (with the relivent modifications to point to parent or child directories off
      it??

      is the $ENV{'PATH_TRANSLATED'} something that could be compromised and cause
      the script to be insecure??

      will it work with use strict or taint mode??

      I want to give the windows users of this script, the same ease of install
      that the linux one enjoys,, rather then have them have to work out what the
      server path is and add a path statement to that effect at all of the script
      files...

      has anyone ever done anything like that?

      kindest regards and thanks again..

      Frank
    • Joe Lunsford
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2001
        I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how to unsubscribe to this
        group.

        Joe

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/