Re: [PBML] I know this 2...

  • Tom Barron
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 2, 2000
      Hi, Alberto.

      "Alberto.7.Vallini" wrote:
      > I have, anyway, some perl.exe that I can launch and type in it but if I
      > type, for instance
      > print "hello world"; and press enter nothing happen (I think obviously). I

      Perhaps one thing you're missing is that perl reads the whole file and
      "compiles" it before executing any of the commands in it. I think if
      you did what you describe above and, after hitting enter, type ^Z
      (control-Z), you'll see your script run.

      Andy described well how to save a script in a file and run it, so I
      won't go through that. However, another thing that might be interesting
      for you to try is this:

      C:>perl -de 3

      This will start up perl and put you in the debugger. Typing "h" in the
      debugger will get a help display. The specific number on the command
      line is not important. Perl just wants a script to start with and the
      "e 3" accomplishes that (the e option tells perl to evaluate the next
      thing on the command line as a script). The "-d" tells the perl
      executable to start the debugger.

      hth...
      Tom
    • Ankur Agarwal
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
        Hi Alberto,
            I can very well understand your problem. I am myself a beginner in perl. Thanks to this list, I got my first program running on the very first day of my posting it here. But I had spent almost a week figuring out how to get my program running, before that.

        Well, I can suggest you a temporary solution. (I set out with it as a temporary solution, but now it is with me permanently.) I downloaded Perl Builder from www.solutionsoft.com . All you have to do is to type in your code and press the start button. And lo...your program works fine without any configuration. It has a very good debugger too. (Maybe I was lucky enough to have all my active perl files in the right directories!)

        Hope this helps.
        Ankur.
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
          Thank you, the problem is that I cannot install activePerl, they told me at
          activestate they are aware of this bug when installing on win2000 and will
          be fixed with the next release... in the meanwhile I am always here waiting
          to be able to finally start debuggin my first scripts... :(
          Is that program shareware, namely stop functioning after the 14 days?
          Thank you for the hint but so far seems that i'm stuck to, say, "forced
          ignorance".
          This reveals how much we'd need an IDE for Perl that could be simple and
          ready without all this hassle: these problem may be a windows issue, but in
          any case harm the perl community: after all a standard becomes a standard
          because more and more people get involved in it. We still have problems, it
          seems, in getting willing people get *really* started with Perl. Too
          strange we cannot have sort of a "straightforward" program: maybe I'm naif:
          just click and get it..... "building dynamic HTML GUIs"...
          bye!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
            Well, in the meanwhile I wait for the next fixed version ov the activePerl
            for win2000, one thing I have not clear (I know it is a one penny question,
            but this is why i joined a beginners' list):
            the method
            print
            is meant to always hold parehtesis like JavaScript methods.
            I see most of the time they don't use them on perl,
            print $myVar;

            Question is: could I get the habit to always use the brackets, it would fit
            my habits with javaScript you see:
            print($myVar);

            correct? Or I'm going to meet troubles if I get this habit?

            thank you very much

            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
              I am sorry, I forgot to mention, I am also using win 2000 pro. And I had no problem installing Active Perl.

              Yes, the Perl Builder is a shareware. It expires after 14 days.

              Ankur.