Cookies

  • Jørn Eriksen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2001
      Is it possible to read a cookie set from another domain form a perl CGI
      script?
      The problem is that it is two domains: domainA,com and domainB.com -
      domainA.com is the most used one howver some users come in trough the other
      domain. Both domain can set their own cookie however I have not been able
      to find a way to read the other domains cookie(s). I really only need to
      read them.

      Thanks

      Jorn
    • Franki
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2001
        I am not sure that is possible, but I'd be surprised if it was,,, if it was,
        companies would be examining cookies on our system at every opportunity to
        see where we have been,,,

        I mean they pay people for those statistics,, they wouldn't if they could
        generate the info any other way...

        course I could be wrong,, but I'd be surprised.. it would be the sort of
        thing that would have a security writeup on it if it could be done..

        rgds

        Frank

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2001
          Thanks for the FAST reply - could there be another "method" - like
          "emulating" cookies trough a perl script?

          Rgds

          Jorn
          > I am not sure that is possible, but I'd be surprised if it was,,, if it
          was,
          > companies would be examining cookies on our system at every opportunity
          > see where we have been,,,
          >
          > I mean they pay people for those statistics,, they wouldn't if they could
          > generate the info any other way...
          >
          > course I could be wrong,, but I'd be surprised.. it would be the sort of
          > thing that would have a security writeup on it if it could be done..
          >

          > rgds
          >
          > Frank

        • Hudson T Clark
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27, 2003
            Ok here is some code from an example I found on the net:

            $cookie = "ospoll=done;path=/; expires=$fut_time; $secure";

            I understand everything, and ospoll=done is the data you are storing on
            the users computer. Is it possiable to store more then one key/value pair
            of data on the users computer in a single cookie send?
          • Octavian Rasnita
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27, 2003
              Yes it is possible.

              Read the POD documentation if you want to use a module, or use the following
              method if you want to print the cookie directly:

              print <<eof;
              Set-cookie: name=value; path=/cgi-bin/; Expires=Thu, 20-May-2004 11:12:12
              GMT
              Set-cookie: name2=value2; path=/cgi-bin/; Expires=Thu, 20-May-2004 11:12:12
              GMT
              Set-cookie: name3=value3; path=/cgi-bin/; Expires=Thu, 20-May-2004 11:12:12
              GMT

              eof

              You can add other cookie parameters if you want separating them with ;
              I found this method more simple than using the CGI module.

              Teddy,
              Teddy's Center: http://teddy.fcc.ro/
              Email: orasnita@...

              Ok here is some code from an example I found on the net:

              $cookie = "ospoll=done;path=/; expires=$fut_time; $secure";

              I understand everything, and ospoll=done is the data you are storing on
              the users computer. Is it possiable to store more then one key/value pair
              of data on the users computer in a single cookie send?

              Unsubscribing info is here:

            • Greg
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28, 2003
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Hudson T Clark
                <dark_archon1@j...> wrote:
                > Ok here is some code from an example I found on the net:
                >
                > $cookie = "ospoll=done;path=/; expires=$fut_time; $secure";
                >
                > I understand everything, and ospoll=done is the data you are
                storing on
                > the users computer. Is it possiable to store more then one
                key/value pair
                > of data on the users computer in a single cookie send?
                Yes.
                But you will have to use some separator characters other than '=',
                for example, "ospoll=done|key2-value2|key3-value3.... etc

                When you read the cookie data, you will first have to split on the
                pipe symbol, then '=' for the first pair and '-' for the remaining
                pairs.