RE: [PBML] Scripting Help

  • erik.tank@bpxinternet.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2001
      You are right ... I forgot that when you read in from the standard in to an
      array it goes until it receives an end of line character. (FYI: if you read
      in from standard in to a scalar - $text = <STDIN>; - then Perl will only
      allow you to enter in 1 line.) Ctrl-D is the end of line character on UNIX
      and Ctrl-Z is the end of line character on DOS. This way you can either
      enter the variables on the command line as you are doing or you can simply
      put the input into a file and redirect it into the script (that is what my
      command is doing). I bet this is how you instructor will test you programs.
      Unless of course he is a masochist ;-).

      Also it is redundant to execute your script with "perl script_name" if the
      first line of you program is "#!/usr/location_of_perl_interpreter/perl".
      But of course if you use this method of execution then you don't need to
      know the actual path of the Perl interpreter nor do you need to worry about
      file permissions to much.

      As far as getting inconsistent outputs I am not sure why. Try putting his
      example input into a file and then running it with the redirect. If it
      still doesn't work then you might have some of the input values entered
      incorrectly. If you have done this and it still is not working for you feel
      free to email me your input file and you Perl script and I will take a look
      at it.

      Erik Tank
      602-817-4705
      erik.tank@...