Re: [PBML] I know this 2...

  • "Alberto.·.Vallini"
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
      Thank you, I still considered ASP and I decided, despite my ignorance, that
      the right choice was to choose PERL. I hope I did it right.
      Now, if I only could get started with a debuggin environment.... *sigh*

      >If you're looking for server side stuff you might also want to consider
      >ASP(Active Server Pages). Supposedly this is built into Windoze2000 and is
      >based on either JavaScript or a scripting form of Visual Basic. I've done
      >very little with it, but I heard about it and it seems to be interesting.
      >It is a M$ thing so they should have some documentation on it. You have to
      >make sure your server actually supports it if you plan to use it though. I
      >agree with the others that we should ignore platform issues(even though if
      >you note my sig, you can see my opinions). I agree with what Alberto is
      >doing, the best way to learn is on your own, get a couple books, work
      >through them and experiment.

      "when everything else fails, sleep"
      Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...
    • Andy Dougherty
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 2, 2000
        If you have a perl.exe around, you can probably at least do some things.
        However, since the installer aborted, things that rely on other parts of
        the installation (like libraries or documentation!) might not work.

        Nevertheless, if you have a perl.exe file, you can probably at least do
        some beginning work.

        The first thing to realize is that you don't have a single integrated
        editing/compiling/debugging/running environment. Instead, what you
        typically do is use a text editor (Notepad is probably fine, though I
        don't really know much about Windows text editors) to write the program
        to a file and then in a separate window you use perl.exe to run that
        program.

        Try this: Use Notepad to create a file "hello.plx" containing just the
        following two lines:

        #!/usr/bin/perl -w
        print "Hello, world.\n";

        Save the file to disk.

        Next, in a separate DOS window (or Command Window or whatever they call it
        that gets you the C: prompt), type

        perl hello.plx

        You should see a single line of output

        Hello, world.

        (Obviously this will only work if perl.exe is in your PATH.)

        This should get you started.

        Hope this helps,

        Andy Dougherty doughera@...
        Dept. of Physics
        Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042
      • Tom Barron
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2000
          Hi, Alberto.

          "Alberto.7.Vallini" wrote:
          > I have, anyway, some perl.exe that I can launch and type in it but if I
          > type, for instance
          > print "hello world"; and press enter nothing happen (I think obviously). I

          Perhaps one thing you're missing is that perl reads the whole file and
          "compiles" it before executing any of the commands in it. I think if
          you did what you describe above and, after hitting enter, type ^Z
          (control-Z), you'll see your script run.

          Andy described well how to save a script in a file and run it, so I
          won't go through that. However, another thing that might be interesting
          for you to try is this:

          C:>perl -de 3

          This will start up perl and put you in the debugger. Typing "h" in the
          debugger will get a help display. The specific number on the command
          line is not important. Perl just wants a script to start with and the
          "e 3" accomplishes that (the e option tells perl to evaluate the next
          thing on the command line as a script). The "-d" tells the perl
          executable to start the debugger.

          hth...
          Tom
        • Ankur Agarwal
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
            Hi Alberto,
                I can very well understand your problem. I am myself a beginner in perl. Thanks to this list, I got my first program running on the very first day of my posting it here. But I had spent almost a week figuring out how to get my program running, before that.

            Well, I can suggest you a temporary solution. (I set out with it as a temporary solution, but now it is with me permanently.) I downloaded Perl Builder from www.solutionsoft.com . All you have to do is to type in your code and press the start button. And lo...your program works fine without any configuration. It has a very good debugger too. (Maybe I was lucky enough to have all my active perl files in the right directories!)

            Hope this helps.
            Ankur.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
              Thank you, the problem is that I cannot install activePerl, they told me at
              activestate they are aware of this bug when installing on win2000 and will
              be fixed with the next release... in the meanwhile I am always here waiting
              to be able to finally start debuggin my first scripts... :(
              Is that program shareware, namely stop functioning after the 14 days?
              Thank you for the hint but so far seems that i'm stuck to, say, "forced
              ignorance".
              This reveals how much we'd need an IDE for Perl that could be simple and
              ready without all this hassle: these problem may be a windows issue, but in
              any case harm the perl community: after all a standard becomes a standard
              because more and more people get involved in it. We still have problems, it
              seems, in getting willing people get *really* started with Perl. Too
              strange we cannot have sort of a "straightforward" program: maybe I'm naif:
              just click and get it..... "building dynamic HTML GUIs"...
              bye!

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                Well, in the meanwhile I wait for the next fixed version ov the activePerl
                for win2000, one thing I have not clear (I know it is a one penny question,
                but this is why i joined a beginners' list):
                the method
                print
                is meant to always hold parehtesis like JavaScript methods.
                I see most of the time they don't use them on perl,
                print $myVar;

                Question is: could I get the habit to always use the brackets, it would fit
                my habits with javaScript you see:
                print($myVar);

                correct? Or I'm going to meet troubles if I get this habit?

                thank you very much

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                  I am sorry, I forgot to mention, I am also using win 2000 pro. And I had no problem installing Active Perl.

                  Yes, the Perl Builder is a shareware. It expires after 14 days.

                  Ankur.