Re: [PBML] I know this 2...

  • jos eph
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hey Albert-o,
      I know you don't want to hear this but...why are you using 2000? Ever heard
      of Linux? FreeBSD? Heck, perl even works fine on my iMac. Microsoft is
      evil my friend. Stay away.
      joseph

      P.S. Perl works fine on my NT 4.0 machine at work.

      >From: "Alberto.�.Vallini" <vallini@...>
      >To: perl-beginner@egroups.com
      >Subject: [PBML] I know this 2...
      >
      >The problem is that I am resorting to this list since I still did that, but
      >it
      >cannot install.
      >While installing the Active Perl Build 613, when almost finished and at the
      >stage "relocating Perl" it comes up with a modal alert saying:
      >qq]
      >internal error 2744. PL_IISMAP, C:\perl\bin\, "C:\perl\bin\wperl.exe"
      >"C:\perl\bin\IIScriptMap.pl" 1 "" .pl "C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s" 4
      >"GET,HEAD,POST"
      >]
      >
      >and rolls back the installation.
      >So I am here, willing to start debugging and learning perl, i've been stuck
      >here for 3 months almost by now, without a dos, without a GUI program,
      >without
      >an installable activePerl and without a perl.exe that could be used to
      >debug.
      >What must I do! I wanna learn PERL, I wanna lear it in the old-fashioned
      >honourable way by trials and errors as I did with JavaScript and with just
      >few emails when problems get too hard, but how can I do without a program
      >run my script and debug?
      >In other words, seems that the perl activestate installer has some bug or
      >similar, at least on my win2000 italy platform.
      >Solutions? WShy I cannot learn perl... grrrrr!!!
      >

      > >Windows2000 is based on NT. NT does not come with DOS. It comes with a
      >type
      > >of emulator. If you go to your Start menu and type "command", you'll get
      > >your pseudo-dos shell. If you type "ver", you'll see that it is not DOS.
      > >
      > >Try downloading the Windows NT binary of Active Perl from their site.
      > >http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/Download.html
      > >

      >"when everything else fails, sleep"
      >Alberto.�.Vallini - vallini@...

    • "Alberto.·.Vallini"
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
        Dear friends I appreciate your observation but now I have a big problem: i WANT
        to learn PERL and it is 3 months that I'm stuck as I cannot find a way to run
        an interpreter and debug my first humble script. telling me to change win2000
        is not of much help as now I have this and I'm not a millionaire (like Gates
        yeah ok)!
        Help!

        >Hey Albert-o,
        >I know you don't want to hear this but...why are you using 2000? Ever heard
        >of Linux? FreeBSD? Heck, perl even works fine on my iMac. Microsoft is
        >evil my friend. Stay away.
        > joseph
        >
        >P.S. Perl works fine on my NT 4.0 machine at work.

        "when everything else fails, sleep"
        Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...
      • Ingenue
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
          What does money have to do with anything? Unix systems are free if they're
          under the BSD or GPL/GNU license, like the ones mentioned below. Perl was
          made for Unix. It was made for the purpose of Unix administration. It even
          comes packaged with releases. If you can't install the WinNT binary on an
          NT system, then something is drastically wrong.

          For personal opinion... the entire movement of Perl is going down the drain
          thanks to the Windows platform. Active State's Perl distrobution will be
          included with the next release of Microsoft Visual Studio in the form of
          "Visual Perl" (as well as "Visual Python"). This is a disgrace to the Perl
          movement not only because it goes against the GNU license that perl is
          licenced under, but it will spark a proprietary movement which deviates from
          the standards (like Microsoft always does) and will tear the langauge apart
          (like microsoft did with every other language). Perl isn't meant for GUI in
          the first place since it's a langauge for Unix Administration (and some
          handy handling of apache mods).

          So Alberto, you can wait a few months and pay.. $600 for a free language and
          continue to be a supporter of Microsoft.

          Dear friends I appreciate your observation but now I have a big problem: i
          WANT
          to learn PERL and it is 3 months that I'm stuck as I cannot find a way to
          run
          an interpreter and debug my first humble script. telling me to change
          win2000
          is not of much help as now I have this and I'm not a millionaire (like Gates
          yeah ok)!
          Help!

          >Hey Albert-o,
          >I know you don't want to hear this but...why are you using 2000? Ever
          heard
          >of Linux? FreeBSD? Heck, perl even works fine on my iMac. Microsoft is
          >evil my friend. Stay away.
          > joseph
          >
          >P.S. Perl works fine on my NT 4.0 machine at work.

          "when everything else fails, sleep"
          Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...

          fnCentral.com: it's where you are! Be deskbound no more. No apps.
          Use the web's first fully integrated personal finance manager
          from any PC, Palm, phone, internet appliance! OPEN A FREE ACCOUNT NOW.
          http://click.egroups.com/1/4647/2/_/12898/_/959861635/
        • "Alberto.·.Vallini"
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
            Seems that looking for help is always the wrong approach. When first I
            bought a computer 4 years ago I knew nothing about it , nothing about the
            net, nothing about html, nothing about javascript, NOTHING about
            programming. I had to do all by myself and now I see that I will have to go
            on doing completely alone and working out the solutions on my self.
            I asked for help, the only thing I get is a crusade against Bill Gates.
            Bha, thank you anyway, not that I did not appreciate the attempt: simply,
            it was focused on your concerns, not on a beginner's ones attempting to do
            his best to get started with this wonderful new (for me) language.
            thanks anyway

            >So Alberto, you can wait a few months and pay.. $600 for a free language and
            >continue to be a supporter of Microsoft.

            "when everything else fails, sleep"
            Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...
          • Greg Webster
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
              To all involved...

              This list is intended as a beginners Perl area, not a place to squabble about
              operating system superiority, Microsoft, etc.

              Now personally, I'm much more comfortable in a Unix environment, but if someone
              wants to learn Perl, don't try to force them to use some variant of Unix as
              well. That's what diversity is all about...and that's why things like Linux may
              succeed in being "another choice" versus the Microsoft monopoly.

              Now...to get back to this situation and Perl. Obviously this person is having a
              problem use ActivePerl or getting it installed. I can't see a better place for
              this to be discussed than on a list titled "Perl Beginners Mailing List". I
              can't help, being that I have never installed ActivePerl, but maybe someone
              else here could step in.

              In the event that the installation is beyond the scope of what we can offer by
              email, this person should contact the manufacturers directly. This situation
              may already be reached, so I urge taking that step.

              Being who I am I prefer to allow things to work themselves out, but if it comes
              down to anyone thinking that this list is not intended for beginners, I'll wipe
              the subscribers list and start again.

              Greg Webster
              List Owner

              On Thu, 01 Jun 2000, you wrote:
              > Seems that looking for help is always the wrong approach. When first I
              > bought a computer 4 years ago I knew nothing about it , nothing about the
              > net, nothing about html, nothing about javascript, NOTHING about
              > programming. I had to do all by myself and now I see that I will have to go
              > on doing completely alone and working out the solutions on my self.
              > I asked for help, the only thing I get is a crusade against Bill Gates.
              > Bha, thank you anyway, not that I did not appreciate the attempt: simply,
              > it was focused on your concerns, not on a beginner's ones attempting to do
              > his best to get started with this wonderful new (for me) language.
              > thanks anyway
              >

              > >So Alberto, you can wait a few months and pay.. $600 for a free language and
              > >continue to be a supporter of Microsoft.
              >

              > "when everything else fails, sleep"
              > Alberto.�.Vallini - vallini@...

              > Take your development to new heights. Work with clients like Dell and
              > pcOrder. Submit your resume to jobs@.... Visit us at
              <>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<>
              / \ GREG WEBSTER - greg@... / \/ \/ \
              \ / http://www.geekrights.org \ /\ /\ /
              <>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<><>-<>
            • "Alberto.·.Vallini"
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
                Thank you Greg!
                Seems that you got the point. Programming is not a matter of operative
                system (unless we claim seriously that since we dislike Microsoft, then
                we'd suggest to ignore windows based platform issues and that it is a cool
                piece of advice- a stand I would not be so willing to sign).

                I came out from a classical europen education, classic schools, and a
                mindset not inclined to Mathematics. You can imagine how hard was for me
                when, all alone, I stepped into html (not a difficult thing, but I can
                proudly say that I now master html to the level of the best html designers
                out there, and I did it all alone. Not just scribbling down a couple of
                lines you see) and then in JavaScript having to grasp things like events,
                objects, methods, loops, conditional statements and all the paraphernalia
                without having the background for it. I did it in the time-honoured old
                fashioned way: notepad, IE and NN on the taskbar, debugging every day,
                staying awake until daybreak, finding myself without the solution at 6am...
                this is why i put in the footer my motto "when everything else fails,
                sleep": I think any programmer can get the hint.

                Programming is a matter of love. Now I wish as hell to learn Perl, I need
                it because I can do nothing on the server side, I feel very ignorant and
                eager to learn. I'm ready, at 34, to spend other months awake before the
                keyboard getting crazy until 6am to debug my first scripts, to learn it all
                painstakingly. It is fine to me.

                I also appreciate the input about Linux, I will soon install it on my Pc:
                i've not been deaf to the suggestions. None the less, I would never
                subscribe the statement accordingly to which since we don't like Microsoft
                we have to ignore problems related to windows platform: that wouldn't be
                worth of a responsible programmer, and would not be user friendly. The
                market is the market, and we can't ignore its reality simply beacuse we
                don't like it (even if we were right).

                If any of you have an idea how I can get started with a program to debug on
                Win2000 Italian version I'd appreciate it.
                I reported in my previous email the message error i get while the Active
                installer says "relocating Perl":

                internal error 2744. PL_IISMAP, C:\perl\bin\, "C:\perl\bin\wperl.exe"
                "C:\perl\bin\IIScriptMap.pl" 1 "" .pl "C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s" 4
                "GET,HEAD,POST"

                I have, anyway, some perl.exe that I can launch and type in it but if I
                type, for instance
                print "hello world"; and press enter nothing happen (I think obviously). I
                wish I could see my first <>, I have no idea how it looks like. Like a
                prompt() in JavaScript??

                The books I have are good, but none of them, camels, Black Books, Lemay,
                seems enough to make me getting started. I think this reveal some problem
                with most of the books: they all seem unable to really deal with the
                problems of the real beginner (not so naif anyway as still has a JavaScript
                solid background, so it is really frustrating to be unable to get started).
                I am confident someone out there, among so many subscribers, can know the
                right hint. I add anyway that I appreciated the things said so far, despite
                not focused on the signaled problem. At least, I realized that there are
                tons of free ware open source OS out there.
                I try to do my best, I have neither simpaty nor antipaty for Microsoft.
                having an html and JavaScript background, I am inclined on this operative
                system simply beacuse IE4 and IE5 are so outstanding when compared to the
                cuncurrence you see.
                Thank you

                >To all involved...
                >
                >This list is intended as a beginners Perl area, not a place to squabble about
                >operating system superiority, Microsoft, etc.
                >
                >Now personally, I'm much more comfortable in a Unix environment, but if
                >someone
                >wants to learn Perl, don't try to force them to use some variant of Unix as
                >well. That's what diversity is all about...and that's why things like
                >Linux may
                >succeed in being "another choice" versus the Microsoft monopoly.
                >
                >Now...to get back to this situation and Perl. Obviously this person is
                >having a
                >problem use ActivePerl or getting it installed. I can't see a better place for
                >this to be discussed than on a list titled "Perl Beginners Mailing List". I
                >can't help, being that I have never installed ActivePerl, but maybe someone
                >else here could step in.
                >
                >In the event that the installation is beyond the scope of what we can offer by
                >email, this person should contact the manufacturers directly. This situation
                >may already be reached, so I urge taking that step.
                >
                >Being who I am I prefer to allow things to work themselves out, but if it
                >comes
                >down to anyone thinking that this list is not intended for beginners, I'll
                >wipe
                >the subscribers list and start again.
                >
                >Greg Webster
                >List Owner

                "when everything else fails, sleep"
                Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...
              • Christopher M. Garman
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
                  If you're looking for server side stuff you might also want to consider
                  ASP(Active Server Pages). Supposedly this is built into Windoze2000 and is
                  based on either JavaScript or a scripting form of Visual Basic. I've done
                  very little with it, but I heard about it and it seems to be interesting.
                  It is a M$ thing so they should have some documentation on it. You have to
                  make sure your server actually supports it if you plan to use it though. I
                  agree with the others that we should ignore platform issues(even though if
                  you note my sig, you can see my opinions). I agree with what Alberto is
                  doing, the best way to learn is on your own, get a couple books, work
                  through them and experiment.

                  --On Fri, Jun 02, 2000 5:41 AM +0200 "\"Alberto.·.Vallini\""
                  <vallini@...> wrote:r
                  > server side, I feel very ignorant and
                  > eager to learn. I'm ready, at 34, to spend other months awake before the
                  > keyboard getting crazy until 6am to debug my first scripts, to learn it
                  > all painstakingly. It is fine to me.

                  A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without
                  bricks tied to its head.
                • "Alberto.·.Vallini"
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 1, 2000
                    Thank you, I still considered ASP and I decided, despite my ignorance, that
                    the right choice was to choose PERL. I hope I did it right.
                    Now, if I only could get started with a debuggin environment.... *sigh*

                    >If you're looking for server side stuff you might also want to consider
                    >ASP(Active Server Pages). Supposedly this is built into Windoze2000 and is
                    >based on either JavaScript or a scripting form of Visual Basic. I've done
                    >very little with it, but I heard about it and it seems to be interesting.
                    >It is a M$ thing so they should have some documentation on it. You have to
                    >make sure your server actually supports it if you plan to use it though. I
                    >agree with the others that we should ignore platform issues(even though if
                    >you note my sig, you can see my opinions). I agree with what Alberto is
                    >doing, the best way to learn is on your own, get a couple books, work
                    >through them and experiment.

                    "when everything else fails, sleep"
                    Alberto.·.Vallini - vallini@...
                  • Andy Dougherty
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2000
                      If you have a perl.exe around, you can probably at least do some things.
                      However, since the installer aborted, things that rely on other parts of
                      the installation (like libraries or documentation!) might not work.

                      Nevertheless, if you have a perl.exe file, you can probably at least do
                      some beginning work.

                      The first thing to realize is that you don't have a single integrated
                      editing/compiling/debugging/running environment. Instead, what you
                      typically do is use a text editor (Notepad is probably fine, though I
                      don't really know much about Windows text editors) to write the program
                      to a file and then in a separate window you use perl.exe to run that
                      program.

                      Try this: Use Notepad to create a file "hello.plx" containing just the
                      following two lines:

                      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
                      print "Hello, world.\n";

                      Save the file to disk.

                      Next, in a separate DOS window (or Command Window or whatever they call it
                      that gets you the C: prompt), type

                      perl hello.plx

                      You should see a single line of output

                      Hello, world.

                      (Obviously this will only work if perl.exe is in your PATH.)

                      This should get you started.

                      Hope this helps,

                      Andy Dougherty doughera@...
                      Dept. of Physics
                      Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042
                    • Tom Barron
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2000
                        Hi, Alberto.

                        "Alberto.7.Vallini" wrote:
                        > I have, anyway, some perl.exe that I can launch and type in it but if I
                        > type, for instance
                        > print "hello world"; and press enter nothing happen (I think obviously). I

                        Perhaps one thing you're missing is that perl reads the whole file and
                        "compiles" it before executing any of the commands in it. I think if
                        you did what you describe above and, after hitting enter, type ^Z
                        (control-Z), you'll see your script run.

                        Andy described well how to save a script in a file and run it, so I
                        won't go through that. However, another thing that might be interesting
                        for you to try is this:

                        C:>perl -de 3

                        This will start up perl and put you in the debugger. Typing "h" in the
                        debugger will get a help display. The specific number on the command
                        line is not important. Perl just wants a script to start with and the
                        "e 3" accomplishes that (the e option tells perl to evaluate the next
                        thing on the command line as a script). The "-d" tells the perl
                        executable to start the debugger.

                        hth...
                        Tom
                      • Ankur Agarwal
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                          Hi Alberto,
                              I can very well understand your problem. I am myself a beginner in perl. Thanks to this list, I got my first program running on the very first day of my posting it here. But I had spent almost a week figuring out how to get my program running, before that.

                          Well, I can suggest you a temporary solution. (I set out with it as a temporary solution, but now it is with me permanently.) I downloaded Perl Builder from www.solutionsoft.com . All you have to do is to type in your code and press the start button. And lo...your program works fine without any configuration. It has a very good debugger too. (Maybe I was lucky enough to have all my active perl files in the right directories!)

                          Hope this helps.
                          Ankur.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                            Thank you, the problem is that I cannot install activePerl, they told me at
                            activestate they are aware of this bug when installing on win2000 and will
                            be fixed with the next release... in the meanwhile I am always here waiting
                            to be able to finally start debuggin my first scripts... :(
                            Is that program shareware, namely stop functioning after the 14 days?
                            Thank you for the hint but so far seems that i'm stuck to, say, "forced
                            ignorance".
                            This reveals how much we'd need an IDE for Perl that could be simple and
                            ready without all this hassle: these problem may be a windows issue, but in
                            any case harm the perl community: after all a standard becomes a standard
                            because more and more people get involved in it. We still have problems, it
                            seems, in getting willing people get *really* started with Perl. Too
                            strange we cannot have sort of a "straightforward" program: maybe I'm naif:
                            just click and get it..... "building dynamic HTML GUIs"...
                            bye!

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                              Well, in the meanwhile I wait for the next fixed version ov the activePerl
                              for win2000, one thing I have not clear (I know it is a one penny question,
                              but this is why i joined a beginners' list):
                              the method
                              print
                              is meant to always hold parehtesis like JavaScript methods.
                              I see most of the time they don't use them on perl,
                              print $myVar;

                              Question is: could I get the habit to always use the brackets, it would fit
                              my habits with javaScript you see:
                              print($myVar);

                              correct? Or I'm going to meet troubles if I get this habit?

                              thank you very much

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 4, 2000
                                I am sorry, I forgot to mention, I am also using win 2000 pro. And I had no problem installing Active Perl.

                                Yes, the Perl Builder is a shareware. It expires after 14 days.

                                Ankur.