Reading text files

  • Carlos Sánchez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
      I suppose this is a stupid question, but I can manage text file reading:

      I have a file like this:

      File=myzip.zip
      Size=189289
      Desc=This is a very important zip file

      And I want to read it line by line, and I cannot do this with the "read"
      function (at least directly). Is there any function or way to read this text
      files line by line?
    • Andy Dougherty
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
        On Wed, 31 May 2000, [iso-8859-1] "Alberto.·.Vallini" wrote:

        > The problem is that I am resorting to this list since I still did that, but it
        > cannot install.
        > While installing the Active Perl Build 613, when almost finished and at the
        > stage "relocating Perl" it comes up with a modal alert saying:
        > qq]
        > internal error 2744. PL_IISMAP, C:\perl\bin\, "C:\perl\bin\wperl.exe"
        > "C:\perl\bin\IIScriptMap.pl" 1 "" .pl "C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s" 4
        > "GET,HEAD,POST"
        > ]

        I think you need to get back to Activestate about this. Others on the
        list have apparently installed ActivePerl without trouble.

        --
        Andy Dougherty doughera@...
        Dept. of Physics
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 22, 2000
          Hi!

          > I have a file like this:
          >
          > File=myzip.zip
          > Size=189289
          > Desc=This is a very important zip file
          >

          > And I want to read it line by line, and I cannot do this with
          the "read"
          > function (at least directly). Is there any function or way to read
          this text
          > files line by line?

          you can open this file. then have a loop

          while (defined($line = <FILE_DESC>))

          thats it!

          cheers
          Amit