Re: Classifieds script

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      Yep.
      My message board now has the ability for advertisers to delete their

      My approach was thus:
      When an ad is posted, a random 6 character password is created, and
      an encrypted version is saved along with the ad.

      An e-mail is sent to the advertiser with a link to the delete script,
      which includes the raw password. The delete script encrypts the
      password and then finds the message where the password matches. It
      then re-writes the data file, omitting the matched record.

      I also wrote an admin script which allows me to delete out-of-date,
      and off-topic ads. This was very simple to do.
      The script reads the data one line at a time into an array and
      creates a html document with a link in each line which includes the
      array index. When you click the link, the script notes the index
      number and re-writes the data file, omitting the chosen line.
      As a bonus, the script also e-mails the advertiser telling him that
      his ad has been deleted.

      e-mail me off-group for specific help, code-snippets, etc.

      Greg Smith
      webmaster
      http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html