Re: Classifieds script

  • arnottf@interv8.co.uk
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
      did you ever get a solution to this? I too am trying to find a way of
      editing/deleting ads without having to buy a script! any help is
      GREATLY appreciated!!!!

      --- In perl-beginner@y..., webmaster@b... wrote:
      > --- In perl-beginner@egroups.com, aaxx@e... wrote:
      > > Hi!
      > >
      > > Maybe someone has the classifieds script with the following
      > features:
      > > - users can post and remove classifieds;
      > > - users can attach and remove pictures.
      > I have just written my own script because all the free ones I tried
      > either didn't work properly, or were too complicated to install,
      and
      > I did not want to pay for one either.
      >
      > At the moment my script does not allow posting of pics, and does
      not
      > allow removal of ads. This is tricky because you have to be certain
      > that the person removing the ad is the one who posted it.
      >
      > I am working on a way of doing that using passwords and cookies.
      >
      > I'll let you know when I've got something more useful. In the mean
      > time, have a look at what I've done so far, at
      >
      > www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html
      >
      > Greg Smith
      > BMW Club webmaster
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2001
        Yep.
        My message board now has the ability for advertisers to delete their

        My approach was thus:
        When an ad is posted, a random 6 character password is created, and
        an encrypted version is saved along with the ad.

        An e-mail is sent to the advertiser with a link to the delete script,
        which includes the raw password. The delete script encrypts the
        password and then finds the message where the password matches. It
        then re-writes the data file, omitting the matched record.

        I also wrote an admin script which allows me to delete out-of-date,
        and off-topic ads. This was very simple to do.
        The script reads the data one line at a time into an array and
        creates a html document with a link in each line which includes the
        array index. When you click the link, the script notes the index
        number and re-writes the data file, omitting the chosen line.
        As a bonus, the script also e-mails the advertiser telling him that
        his ad has been deleted.

        e-mail me off-group for specific help, code-snippets, etc.

        Greg Smith
        webmaster
        http://www.bmw-club.org.uk/messages/bbs.html