RE: [PBML] sytax error

  • Smith, Sheldon
    Message 1 of 5 , May 17, 2000
      I don't know anything about "Perl Builder"; I am assuming that at some point
      there is one or more Perl script files, either with a .PL or .PERL
      extension.

      1. At your DOS prompt, you should be able to do the following:
      C:> perl -v
      which should come back with something like:
      This is perl, v5.6.0 built for ...
      Copyright 1987-2000, Larry Wall
      C:>

      If not, you should probably put the name of the directory containing
      PERL.EXE in your PATH. Much of the time, the directory is something like
      C:\PERL or C:\PERL\BIN.

      2. Once "perl -v" works, the next step would be to create a very simple text
      file (use Notepad or some other TEXT editor). Do not use a word processor.
      Put the following line (singular) in it:
      print "Hello, world!\n";

      3. Save it. If using Notepad, you may need to call it "hello.pl" (using the
      quotes) so Notepad won't try to put a .txt on the end >> hello.pl.txt.

      4. Type it: "type hello.pl" You should see exactly what you typed in,
      nothing more and nothing less. If there's other stuff, you didn't use a TEXT
      editor. Go back to step 2 and try again with a different editor until you
      get this right.

      5. At your DOS prompt, you should now be able to do the following:
      C:> perl hello.pl
      which should come back with something like:
      Hello, world!
      C:>

      Now you should be ready to run your Perl script at your DOS prompt.

      Good luck....