RE: [PBML] How do I start learning perl?

  • Smith, Sheldon
    Message 1 of 9 , May 10, 2000
      One excellent teacher/author is a gentleman named Randal Schwartz. His
      O'Reilly book "Learning Perl" (with the llama on the cover) is a *wonderful*
      place to start learning. Chapter One has a rather friendly "Stroll through
      Perl" showing some of the basic things it can do. I used that book as my
      main reference for about a year before I started getting other O'Reilly Perl
      books. Mr. Schwartz can even be found on some of the other Perl mailing
      lists, including the "Fun With Perl" list.

      Oh: On second thought. The "llama" Learning Perl book is more for Unix
      systems. The volume "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" would be a better first
      book in your circumstance. It has a wall gecko on the cover. However: Perl
      is Perl.

      Oh good. Looking at UPS's web-site as I write this, two more O'Reilly Perl
      books (the Cookbook and Mastering Algorithms) arrived at my house today and
      are waiting for me to get home.