Re: [PBML] How do I start learning perl?

  • Ikhlasul Amal
    Message 1 of 9 , May 8, 2000
      On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:26:08AM -0700, Bambang Bayu wrote (probably edited):
      % And because I'm a very poor guy so I must really
      % careful before buying a book.
      %
      % Regards,
      % Bambang
      %
      ---end quoted text---

      If you want to taste the real Perl, then run that stuff on
      Linux. It is relatively easy to install, free of charge, and
      complete with a huge amount of documentation (you simply call
      'man perl' from OS' prompt).

      The Camel Book comes from O'Reilly is de facto the best book for
      Perl in any level. They wrote in funnily basis and exploring
      lazy spirit of programming.

      Have a fun with Perl!

      --
      @mal
      amal@...
      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2000
        It's funny that.. with this unlimited knowledge available on the Internet
        that people are even LESS resourceful these days than prior to its
        existence. Is it that people just do not THINK about what the Internet
        offers, or are they just too lazy to look? I thought search engines would
        get rid of lazy people, but it seems even typing in "cgi perl tutorial" is
        still too challenging for many.

        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2000
          Abosuletly right, but sharing idea with you guys and
          learn from the expert interactively is very exciting
          and more useful. :)

          http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/2/_/12898/_/957760290/

          > > Send instant messages & get email alerts with
          > Yahoo! Messenger.
          > > http://im.yahoo.com/

          > > You have a voice mail message waiting for you at
          > iHello.com:

          http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/2/_/12898/_/957770769/

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Smith, Sheldon
          Message 4 of 9 , May 10, 2000
            One excellent teacher/author is a gentleman named Randal Schwartz. His
            O'Reilly book "Learning Perl" (with the llama on the cover) is a *wonderful*
            place to start learning. Chapter One has a rather friendly "Stroll through
            Perl" showing some of the basic things it can do. I used that book as my
            main reference for about a year before I started getting other O'Reilly Perl
            books. Mr. Schwartz can even be found on some of the other Perl mailing
            lists, including the "Fun With Perl" list.

            Oh: On second thought. The "llama" Learning Perl book is more for Unix
            systems. The volume "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" would be a better first
            book in your circumstance. It has a wall gecko on the cover. However: Perl
            is Perl.

            Oh good. Looking at UPS's web-site as I write this, two more O'Reilly Perl
            books (the Cookbook and Mastering Algorithms) arrived at my house today and
            are waiting for me to get home.