Re: [PBML] How do I start learning perl?

  • Ingenue
    Message 1 of 9 , May 7, 2000
      You usually learn with books. You can also take a class at college.

      Message 2 of 9 , May 8, 2000
        Yes, but I need someone to told me something about
        perl, so I can imagine how it works.

        Like when I can't imagine how the web page was
        created, someone has told me that it can be created by
        text editor like notepad. That is my start to learn
        HTML and web designer.

        Or like when I learn ASP (Active Server Pages),
        someone has told me to use Visual Studio to get ASP,
        or IIS on NT, and write ASP with VB Language. That my
        start to learn all that things.

        That's it. I need someone help figuring out what's
        PERL/CGI? What software do I need to buy, and soon...
        maybe someone here is very kind to tell me the story
        about this..:)

        And because I'm a very poor guy so I must really
        careful before buying a book.

        Regards,
        Bambang

        --- Ingenue <nikita@...> wrote:
        > You usually learn with books. You can also take a
        > class at college.

        http://click.egroups.com/1/4011/2/_/12898/_/957760290/

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Night Rider
        Message 3 of 9 , May 8, 2000
          Hey
          I have something that may help you you can search for
          this book
          Teach your self perl 5
          in here
          www.itknowledge.com
          download it .. and you ll get the whole story for free..

          good luck
          ( a perl beginner)
          > Yes, but I need someone to told me something about
          > perl, so I can imagine how it works.
          >
          > Like when I can't imagine how the web page was
          > created, someone has told me that it can be created by
          > text editor like notepad. That is my start to learn
          > HTML and web designer.
          >
          > Or like when I learn ASP (Active Server Pages),
          > someone has told me to use Visual Studio to get ASP,
          > or IIS on NT, and write ASP with VB Language. That my
          > start to learn all that things.
          >
          > That's it. I need someone help figuring out what's
          > PERL/CGI? What software do I need to buy, and soon...
          > maybe someone here is very kind to tell me the story
          > about this..:)
          >
          > And because I'm a very poor guy so I must really
          > careful before buying a book.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Bambang
          >
          > --- Ingenue <nikita@...> wrote:
          > > You usually learn with books. You can also take a
          > > class at college.

        • sjaak nabuurs
          Message 4 of 9 , May 8, 2000
            The first question is what do you want to do on the internet.
            Large dbases or ....

            Sjaak CityTower.com

            --- Ingenue <nikita@...> wrote:
            > You usually learn with books.  You can also take a
            > class at college.

          • Ikhlasul Amal
            Message 5 of 9 , May 8, 2000
              On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 12:26:08AM -0700, Bambang Bayu wrote (probably edited):
              % And because I'm a very poor guy so I must really
              % careful before buying a book.
              %
              % Regards,
              % Bambang
              %
              ---end quoted text---

              If you want to taste the real Perl, then run that stuff on
              Linux. It is relatively easy to install, free of charge, and
              complete with a huge amount of documentation (you simply call
              'man perl' from OS' prompt).

              The Camel Book comes from O'Reilly is de facto the best book for
              Perl in any level. They wrote in funnily basis and exploring
              lazy spirit of programming.

              Have a fun with Perl!

              --
              @mal
              amal@...
              Message 6 of 9 , May 8, 2000
                Bambang Bayu wrote:

                > Yes, but I need someone to told me something about
                > perl, so I can imagine how it works.

                Another free option is to go to http://www.perl.com and start reading.
                From there, you can download everything you need to run perl on Win32,
                Macintosh, or Unix/Linux computers, and learn everything you need to
                know to use it.

                Tom
              • Ingenue
                Message 7 of 9 , May 8, 2000
                  It's funny that.. with this unlimited knowledge available on the Internet
                  that people are even LESS resourceful these days than prior to its
                  existence. Is it that people just do not THINK about what the Internet
                  offers, or are they just too lazy to look? I thought search engines would
                  get rid of lazy people, but it seems even typing in "cgi perl tutorial" is
                  still too challenging for many.

                  > Yes, but I need someone to told me something about
                  > perl, so I can imagine how it works.
                  >
                  > Like when I can't imagine how the web page was
                  > created, someone has told me that it can be created by
                  > text editor like notepad. That is my start to learn
                  > HTML and web designer.
                  >
                  > Or like when I learn ASP (Active Server Pages),
                  > someone has told me to use Visual Studio to get ASP,
                  > or IIS on NT, and write ASP with VB Language. That my
                  > start to learn all that things.
                  >
                  > That's it. I need someone help figuring out what's
                  > PERL/CGI? What software do I need to buy, and soon...
                  > maybe someone here is very kind to tell me the story
                  > about this..:)
                  >
                  > And because I'm a very poor guy so I must really
                  > careful before buying a book.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Bambang
                  >
                  > --- Ingenue <nikita@...> wrote:
                  > > You usually learn with books. You can also take a
                  > > class at college.

                • Bambang Bayu
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 8, 2000
                    Abosuletly right, but sharing idea with you guys and
                    learn from the expert interactively is very exciting
                    and more useful. :)

                    http://click.egroups.com/1/3555/2/_/12898/_/957770769/

                    http://im.yahoo.com/
                  • Smith, Sheldon
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 10, 2000
                      One excellent teacher/author is a gentleman named Randal Schwartz. His
                      O'Reilly book "Learning Perl" (with the llama on the cover) is a *wonderful*
                      place to start learning. Chapter One has a rather friendly "Stroll through
                      Perl" showing some of the basic things it can do. I used that book as my
                      main reference for about a year before I started getting other O'Reilly Perl
                      books. Mr. Schwartz can even be found on some of the other Perl mailing
                      lists, including the "Fun With Perl" list.

                      Oh: On second thought. The "llama" Learning Perl book is more for Unix
                      systems. The volume "Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" would be a better first
                      book in your circumstance. It has a wall gecko on the cover. However: Perl
                      is Perl.

                      Oh good. Looking at UPS's web-site as I write this, two more O'Reilly Perl
                      books (the Cookbook and Mastering Algorithms) arrived at my house today and
                      are waiting for me to get home.