Re: [PBML] Just learning Perl

  • spyguy_003@juno.com
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2000
      i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
      way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
      really want to learn.

      spyguy_003
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Brenda Horner
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2000
        Tom, do you have some way of walking me through this, I'm very much a
        hands on person. And can';t always "see" what's right in front of me in
        writing.
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2000
          On Wed, 3 May 2000 spyguy_003@... wrote:

          > i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
          > way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
          > really want to learn.
          >

          > spyguy_003

          Perl no matter what platform your on is good to learn on. Especially if
          you don't have access to a unix box (which is probably the best).
          Goto www.activestate.com and download the latest version and install it.
          When your ready to start learning let me know.

          Dave Newman
        • ianmax
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2000
            >===== Original Message From perl-beginner@egroups.com =====
            >I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
            >with it.

            Unfortunatley, like some of us, Brenda may not be able to wrk in a unix
            environment. She may be, like myself stuck with only having access to a
            Windows Operating environment! :)

            >> Brenda wrote:
            >> >
            >> > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
            >> > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
            >> > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
            >> > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

            >> Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
            >> more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
            >Distance
            >> rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

            >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:
          • Mike Lewis
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2000

              Hi Brenda.  Win32 = Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT, and Windows 2000.

              Check out the URL I sent you.

              Mike
              Message 6 of 16 , May 4, 2000
                Brenda Horner wrote:
                >I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now, I'm getting very >confused. but
                I want to learn this

                Win32 refers to any of the "32-bit" Windows. That includes Win95,
                Win98, WinNT, and patched versions of Win3.1 and Windows for
                Workgroups. It probably includes W2K as well.