Re: [PBML] Just learning Perl

  • Brenda Horner
    Message 1 of 16 , May 3, 2000
      I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
      with it.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 3, 2000
        i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
        way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
        really want to learn.

        spyguy_003
        Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • Brenda Horner
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2000
          Tom, do you have some way of walking me through this, I'm very much a
          hands on person. And can';t always "see" what's right in front of me in
          writing.
          Message 4 of 16 , May 3, 2000
            On Wed, 3 May 2000 spyguy_003@... wrote:

            > i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
            > way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
            > really want to learn.
            >

            > spyguy_003

            Perl no matter what platform your on is good to learn on. Especially if
            you don't have access to a unix box (which is probably the best).
            Goto www.activestate.com and download the latest version and install it.
            When your ready to start learning let me know.

            Dave Newman
          • ianmax
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2000
              >===== Original Message From perl-beginner@egroups.com =====
              >I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
              >with it.

              Unfortunatley, like some of us, Brenda may not be able to wrk in a unix
              environment. She may be, like myself stuck with only having access to a
              Windows Operating environment! :)

              >> Brenda wrote:
              >> >
              >> > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
              >> > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
              >> > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
              >> > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

              >> Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
              >> more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
              >Distance
              >> rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

              >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:
            • Mike Lewis
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2000

                Hi Brenda.  Win32 = Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT, and Windows 2000.

                Check out the URL I sent you.

                Mike
                Message 7 of 16 , May 4, 2000
                  Brenda Horner wrote:
                  >I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now, I'm getting very >confused. but
                  I want to learn this

                  Win32 refers to any of the "32-bit" Windows. That includes Win95,
                  Win98, WinNT, and patched versions of Win3.1 and Windows for
                  Workgroups. It probably includes W2K as well.