Re: [PBML] Just learning Perl, Brenda

  • Eugene Heriniaina
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2000
      Hello

      I found a way using the Active Perl ... even up to create a HTML file in my
      windows. I don't know if you already knew it.

      After creating your Cgi files then when you run Activeperl, you only will
      see html codes in your dos screen. So instead of writing, at the command
      prompt "perl mycgi.cgi" then you do "perl mycgi.cgi > myhtml.htm". Then you
      can read the myhtml.htm file like you read it in the internet. Of course it
      does not accept parsing form (so far), maybe I dont know yet how to use the
      ActivePerl.

      To make it easy. I created a batch file called "myperl.bat" where inside I
      put

      perl -x -S "%1" > "%1.htm"

      The quotes are made to accept long filenames.
      I put it under windows to be able to run it everywhere.

      I created an association that every *.cgi or *.pl would use myperl.bat. For
      that I opened the Win.explorer and in the "view"- "Folder option" menu, In
      the File types tab, I looked for CGI and Perl extensions. I edit the file
      type and added a new action called "Convert To Html". And I just wrote in
      the "Application used to perform action"

      myperl.bat "%1"

      And that's all. Now if I click twice in a cgi or perl file then it creates
      the same name of file with *.htm extension... and it is already a html file
      result of the cgi script.

      I dont know if what I said helped.
      Good luck

      Eugene