RE: [PBML] Just learning Perl

  • Mike Lewis
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2000

      Sorry, not to start a holy war here, but this is not correct.  Had you said ".\program", I would agree 100%.  Look again at what you said below.
      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2000
        I am sure there is a help file included with the distribution. Read it
        first, before doing anything :)

        I was also confused when working with Perl for windows, why not try it
        in UNIX? It was made firstly for UNIX.

        Brenda wrote:

        > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
        > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
        > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
        > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

      • Tom Barron
        Message 3 of 16 , May 3, 2000
          Brenda wrote:

          > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
          > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
          > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
          > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

          Hi, Brenda. My guess is that you're running under Windows. Is that
          right?

          In Windows, there are a few things to take note of:

          1. You need to make sure the directory in which perl.exe lives is in
          the PATH environment variable.

          2. If you associate the perl interpreter with a file extension through
          Windows Explorer's Association mechanism (usually '.pl' is used for this
          purpose), you can run a script by typing just its name (including the
          .pl). So, after setting up an association, you could run 'myscript.pl'
          with a command like

          C:> myscript.pl arg1 arg2 ...

          For this to work, you'd have to be in the directory where myscript.pl
          lives or that directory would have to be in the PATH variable.

          3. If you don't set up an association (I prefer to *NOT* depend on
          associations since I can't guarantee that the one I want will be set up
          correctly on a customer's machine), you'll have a use a command like

          C:> perl -S myscript.pl arg1 arg2 ...

          Again, myscript.pl would need to be in a directory in the PATH variable
          or in the current directory. The -S tells perl to scan the directories
          in the PATH variable to find myscript.pl.

          In case you're using some variant of Unix, the following considerations
          are important:

          1. The directory the perl interpreter lives in (typically /usr/bin or
          /usr/local/bin) needs to be in the PATH environment variable.

          2. The first line of you script needs to be

          #!/usr/bin/perl

          or, if perl is in /usr/local/bin,

          #!/usr/local/bin/perl

          to tell the system to use perl to interpret the script. If this line is
          omitted, the system will attempt to use the shell to interpret the
          script.

          3. You'll need to make sure your script file has execute permission
          turned on:

          $ chmod a+x myscript

          4. If the script is in a directory mentioned in $PATH, it can be run
          with a command like

          $ myscript

          Unix doesn't care about file extensions, so you can use one or not as
          you choose.

          5. If the script is in a directory *NOT* mentioned in $PATH, you'll
          need to specify the path to the script as part of the command:

          $ ./myscript
          $ /home/mydir/prj/myscript

          Putting '.' in $PATH can be a convenience because it lets you run things
          in the current directory without the './', but if you do this, it's best
          to put '.' at the end of the $PATH so that system commands like 'ls',
          etc., won't get overridden by things in the current directory with
          similar names.

          hth...
          Tom
        • Brenda Horner

            No such file or directory now what do I do????
            > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
            >
            > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
            > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
            > your path).

          • Brenda Horner
            Message 5 of 16 , May 3, 2000
              I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
              with it.
              > I am sure there is a help file included with the distribution. Read it
              > first, before doing anything :)
              >
              > I was also confused when working with Perl for windows, why not try it
              > in UNIX? It was made firstly for UNIX.
              >
              > Brenda wrote:
              > >
              > > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
              > > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
              > > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
              > > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

              > Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
              > more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
              Distance

            • spyguy_003@juno.com
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
                way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
                really want to learn.

                spyguy_003
                Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
              • Brenda Horner
                Message 7 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                  Tom, do you have some way of walking me through this, I'm very much a
                  hands on person. And can';t always "see" what's right in front of me in
                  writing.
> [...]
                  > with a command like
                  >
                  > $ myscript
                  >
                  > Unix doesn't care about file extensions, so you can use one or not as
                  > you choose.
                  >
                  > 5. If the script is in a directory *NOT* mentioned in $PATH, you'll
                  > need to specify the path to the script as part of the command:
                  >
                  > $ ./myscript
                  > $ /home/mydir/prj/myscript
                  >
                  > Putting '.' in $PATH can be a convenience because it lets you run things
                  > in the current directory without the './', but if you do this, it's best
                  > to put '.' at the end of the $PATH so that system commands like 'ls',
                  > etc., won't get overridden by things in the current directory with
                  > similar names.
                  >
                  > hth...
                  > Tom

                  > Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.

                • David E Newman
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                    On Wed, 3 May 2000 spyguy_003@... wrote:

                    > i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
                    > way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
                    > really want to learn.
                    >

                    > spyguy_003

                    Perl no matter what platform your on is good to learn on. Especially if
                    you don't have access to a unix box (which is probably the best).
                    Goto www.activestate.com and download the latest version and install it.
                    When your ready to start learning let me know.

                    Dave Newman
                  • ianmax
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                      >===== Original Message From perl-beginner@egroups.com =====
                      >I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
                      >with it.

                      Unfortunatley, like some of us, Brenda may not be able to wrk in a unix
                      environment. She may be, like myself stuck with only having access to a
                      Windows Operating environment! :)

                      >> Brenda wrote:
                      >> >
                      >> > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
                      >> > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
                      >> > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
                      >> > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

                      >> Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                      >> more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
                      >Distance
                      >> rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                      >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:
                    • Mike Lewis
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2000

                        Hi Brenda.  Win32 = Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT, and Windows 2000.

                        Check out the URL I sent you.

                        Mike
                        I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now,  I'm getting very confused.  but I want to learn this

                        No such file or directory now what do I do????
                        > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
                        >
                        > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
                        > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
                        > your path).

                      • Kai Hintze
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 4, 2000
                          Brenda Horner wrote:
                          >I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now, I'm getting very >confused. but
                          I want to learn this

                          Win32 refers to any of the "32-bit" Windows. That includes Win95,
                          Win98, WinNT, and patched versions of Win3.1 and Windows for
                          Workgroups. It probably includes W2K as well.