Re: [PBML] Just learning Perl

  • Joseph Kiok
    Message 1 of 16 , May 2, 2000

      have you verified the filename?  Program.pl is different from program.pl

      hope it helps.

      regards,
      joseph

      Message 2 of 16 , May 2, 2000
        Brenda,

        Also, "./program.pl" is for Unix, not WinBlows.

        The best basic tutorial that I'm aware of is Robert's Perl Tutorial:

        Which you can see by the URL is geared towards using Perl on Win32.

        HTH,
        Mike

        No such file or directory now what do I do????
        > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
        >
        > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
        > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
        > your path).

      • Ingenue
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2000
          ./program.pl is also for Windows.  The "./" just tells Windows the same thing it does to Unix -- that the program is in the current directory.  You can skip the "./", or not.  The path to the interpretor at the begging of the program starts the script -- that's what it's _for_.

          No such file or directory now what do I do????
          > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
          >
          > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
          > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
          > your path).

        • Mike Lewis
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2000

            Sorry, not to start a holy war here, but this is not correct.  Had you said ".\program", I would agree 100%.  Look again at what you said below.
            ./program.pl is also for Windows.  The "./" just tells Windows the same thing it does to Unix -- that the program is in the current directory.  You can skip the "./", or not.  The path to the interpretor at the begging of the program starts the script -- that's what it's _for_.

            No such file or directory now what do I do????
            > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
            >
            > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
            > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
            > your path).

          • Aditya Hermawan
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2000
              I am sure there is a help file included with the distribution. Read it
              first, before doing anything :)

              I was also confused when working with Perl for windows, why not try it
              in UNIX? It was made firstly for UNIX.

              Brenda wrote:

              > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
              > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
              > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
              > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

            • Tom Barron
              Message 6 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                Brenda wrote:

                > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
                > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
                > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
                > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

                Hi, Brenda. My guess is that you're running under Windows. Is that
                right?

                In Windows, there are a few things to take note of:

                1. You need to make sure the directory in which perl.exe lives is in
                the PATH environment variable.

                2. If you associate the perl interpreter with a file extension through
                Windows Explorer's Association mechanism (usually '.pl' is used for this
                purpose), you can run a script by typing just its name (including the
                .pl). So, after setting up an association, you could run 'myscript.pl'
                with a command like

                C:> myscript.pl arg1 arg2 ...

                For this to work, you'd have to be in the directory where myscript.pl
                lives or that directory would have to be in the PATH variable.

                3. If you don't set up an association (I prefer to *NOT* depend on
                associations since I can't guarantee that the one I want will be set up
                correctly on a customer's machine), you'll have a use a command like

                C:> perl -S myscript.pl arg1 arg2 ...

                Again, myscript.pl would need to be in a directory in the PATH variable
                or in the current directory. The -S tells perl to scan the directories
                in the PATH variable to find myscript.pl.

                In case you're using some variant of Unix, the following considerations
                are important:

                1. The directory the perl interpreter lives in (typically /usr/bin or
                /usr/local/bin) needs to be in the PATH environment variable.

                2. The first line of you script needs to be

                #!/usr/bin/perl

                or, if perl is in /usr/local/bin,

                #!/usr/local/bin/perl

                to tell the system to use perl to interpret the script. If this line is
                omitted, the system will attempt to use the shell to interpret the
                script.

                3. You'll need to make sure your script file has execute permission
                turned on:

                $ chmod a+x myscript

                4. If the script is in a directory mentioned in $PATH, it can be run
                with a command like

                $ myscript

                Unix doesn't care about file extensions, so you can use one or not as
                you choose.

                5. If the script is in a directory *NOT* mentioned in $PATH, you'll
                need to specify the path to the script as part of the command:

                $ ./myscript
                $ /home/mydir/prj/myscript

                Putting '.' in $PATH can be a convenience because it lets you run things
                in the current directory without the './', but if you do this, it's best
                to put '.' at the end of the $PATH so that system commands like 'ls',
                etc., won't get overridden by things in the current directory with
                similar names.

                hth...
                Tom
              • Brenda Horner

                  No such file or directory now what do I do????
                  > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
                  >
                  > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
                  > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
                  > your path).

                • Brenda Horner
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                    I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
                    with it.
                    > I am sure there is a help file included with the distribution. Read it
                    > first, before doing anything :)
                    >
                    > I was also confused when working with Perl for windows, why not try it
                    > in UNIX? It was made firstly for UNIX.
                    >
                    > Brenda wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
                    > > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
                    > > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
                    > > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

                    > Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                    > more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
                    Distance

                  • spyguy_003@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                      i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
                      way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
                      really want to learn.

                      spyguy_003
                      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
                      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
                    • Brenda Horner
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                        Tom, do you have some way of walking me through this, I'm very much a
                        hands on person. And can';t always "see" what's right in front of me in
                        writing.
> [...]
                        > with a command like
                        >
                        > $ myscript
                        >
                        > Unix doesn't care about file extensions, so you can use one or not as
                        > you choose.
                        >
                        > 5. If the script is in a directory *NOT* mentioned in $PATH, you'll
                        > need to specify the path to the script as part of the command:
                        >
                        > $ ./myscript
                        > $ /home/mydir/prj/myscript
                        >
                        > Putting '.' in $PATH can be a convenience because it lets you run things
                        > in the current directory without the './', but if you do this, it's best
                        > to put '.' at the end of the $PATH so that system commands like 'ls',
                        > etc., won't get overridden by things in the current directory with
                        > similar names.
                        >
                        > hth...
                        > Tom

                        > Join Garden.com's affiliate program and enjoy numerous benefits.

                      • David E Newman
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                          On Wed, 3 May 2000 spyguy_003@... wrote:

                          > i'm a beginner in perl, but not in programming. is active perl the best
                          > way to learn perl? what are some other ways? please send help. i
                          > really want to learn.
                          >

                          > spyguy_003

                          Perl no matter what platform your on is good to learn on. Especially if
                          you don't have access to a unix box (which is probably the best).
                          Goto www.activestate.com and download the latest version and install it.
                          When your ready to start learning let me know.

                          Dave Newman
                        • ianmax
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 3, 2000
                            >===== Original Message From perl-beginner@egroups.com =====
                            >I have heard of unix and that is about it. I've never had any experience
                            >with it.

                            Unfortunatley, like some of us, Brenda may not be able to wrk in a unix
                            environment. She may be, like myself stuck with only having access to a
                            Windows Operating environment! :)

                            >> Brenda wrote:
                            >> >
                            >> > I'm interested in teaching myself Perl, I have downloaded Active
                            >> > Perl although I'm not sure I understand how to use it. I can get a
                            >> > saved perl script to work but when I just enter the script and hit
                            >> > enter, I get bad command or file name. Can someone help me, please??

                            >> Would you like to save big on your phone bill -- and keep on saving
                            >> more each month? Join beMANY! Our huge buying group gives you Long
                            >Distance
                            >> rates which fall monthly, plus an extra $60 in FREE calls!

                            >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:
                          • Mike Lewis
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 3, 2000

                              Hi Brenda.  Win32 = Windows95, Windows98, WindowsNT, and Windows 2000.

                              Check out the URL I sent you.

                              Mike
                              I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now,  I'm getting very confused.  but I want to learn this

                              No such file or directory now what do I do????
                              > You invoke the interpreter by doing one of the following:
                              >
                              > type "./program.pl"  at the prompt, or..
                              > type "perl program.pl" at the prompt (make sure the perl interpretor is in
                              > your path).

                            • Kai Hintze
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 4, 2000
                                Brenda Horner wrote:
                                >I'm not even sure what Win32 is right now, I'm getting very >confused. but
                                I want to learn this

                                Win32 refers to any of the "32-bit" Windows. That includes Win95,
                                Win98, WinNT, and patched versions of Win3.1 and Windows for
                                Workgroups. It probably includes W2K as well.