Re: [PBML] How to insert a string?

  • Dave Dustin
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 1998
      >Hi,there. I need your help. I am using perl to wirte a cgi scripts. I
      >need to insert a string into a data file called data.html . Suppose a
      >tag <!--insert string here-->is embeded in data.html. I want a string
      >insert after this tag. What if this data file is not exist before but
      >how it can be created from a template file such as template.html?

      >It is concluded that I want my scripts to :
      >1.Create a new file from a template;
      >2.Insert a string into somewhere in this newly created file;

      This quickly (and probably badly) written piece of code below will do what
      you want. It will check to see if data.html exists, if it does, we work
      with it, otherwise we work with the template file.

      It pre-loads the entire file into an array, checking each line as we go to
      see if we have a match on our search string. If we do then we replace it
      with the new string.

      The routine can be improved but I've kept it simple to demonstrate.

      #!/usr/bin/perl

      $searchstring = "<!--insert string here-->";
      $newstring = "whatever string you want to insert";
      $docpath = "/usr/httpd/htdocs/";

      if (!-e "$docpath/data.html") {
      open(FILE,"$docpath/template.html");
      } else {