Parsing generic file

  • Rajagopal
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24 4:33 PM
      Guys, I need help with this.

      I need to write a perl program that should output a file. Parameters are:

      SomePerl.pl infile outfile 8 5 10.

      infile can be any standard file with a header record with a delimiter. Columns (numbers, names and position) can change from file to file.

      outfile is the output I want with the following:

      asset_id~asset_tag~asset_cl~col1|col2|col3|....
      where asset_id, asset_tag and asset_cl is mapped to columns 8, 5 and 10. Column header in the file may not be exactly named as asset_id, asset_tag or asset_cl. Output file row should look like:

      col8~col5~col10~col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10

      I am new to perl and how would I achieve this?

      Appreciate your help.
      Thanks.
    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 25 1:56 AM
        Hi Rajagopal,

        On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 23:33:11 -0000
        "Rajagopal" <raaajah@...> wrote:

        > Guys, I need help with this.
        >
        > I need to write a perl program that should output a file. Parameters are:
        >
        > SomePerl.pl infile outfile 8 5 10.
        >
        > infile can be any standard file with a header record with a delimiter.
        > Columns (numbers, names and position) can change from file to file.
        >
        > outfile is the output I want with the following:
        >
        > asset_id~asset_tag~asset_cl~col1|col2|col3|....
        > where asset_id, asset_tag and asset_cl is mapped to columns 8, 5 and 10.
        > Column header in the file may not be exactly named as asset_id, asset_tag or
        > asset_cl. Output file row should look like:
        >
        > col8~col5~col10~col1|col2|col3|col4|col5|col6|col7|col8|col9|col10
        >
        > I am new to perl and how would I achieve this?

        I find it hard to understand exactly what you want to do, but you should look
        into the following resources for insights:

        1. File Input/Output in Perl -
        http://perl-begin.org/topics/files-and-directories/ .

        2. Regular expressions for matching text -
        http://perl-begin.org/topics/regular-expressions/ .

        3. Text::CSV and friends for robust input/output to Comma-Separated-Value (CSV)
        files:

        http://perl-begin.org/uses/text-parsing/#with-what-to-parse

        4. Make sure you avoid using commonly-used bad elements in Perl:

        http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/

        *Note*: http://perl-begin.org/ is a site I originated and maintain, but I
        believe the links I've given there are of relevance here.

        Furthermore, in the future, you may wish to post your question to
        beginners@... , where there are more people who can help you:

        http://learn.perl.org/faq/beginners.html

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish