Re:Yahoo Small Business Perl server issue

  • afbach1
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
      > The PERL script creates a web page using the "print" command lines. The
      script
      works fine until I include a Java \n";

      A Java "\n"? (really - it's a "Perl script" - that upper case is like
      fingernails on the blackboard). But not sure what this means. "\n" is a
      valid Perl metachar for new line - you can use it in a print stmt or a
      string.

      > Can you not use a Java script within a Perl script?

      Er, it would depend. "Java", generally, isn't considered a scripting sort
      of language. My guess is you mean JavaScript ("JS"), the ill-named,
      browser based language used on many web sites. Perl can write web pages
      and print out the JS text that the browser will later run. Need to include
      <script> tags etc.

      >Can you launch a web page directly from a Perl script command, or do you
      have to
      do it from the Java script

      Er, "launch a web page" doesn't make sense. Web pages are displayed via
      web servers. Perl can create web pages (even dynamically, as with cgi
      scripts) that the web server (Apache or IIS, say) will send back to the
      browser to be rendered as a web page. There are modules (LWP for one)
      that will let you fetch web pages (via a URL) as if your script was a
      browser but I don't think that's what you meant either.

      Andy Bach
      Systems Mangler
      Internet: andy_bach@...
      Voice: (608) 261-5738, Cell: (608) 658-1890

      "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
      themselves upon execution."
      Robert Sewell.