Re: [PBML] Re: Yahoo Small Business Perl server issue

  • Charles K. Clarkson
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      On 2/12/2013 3:09 PM, davebest99 wrote:

      > I have a Yahoo Small Business web page with a <form> that calls a PERL
      > script.

      The language is named Perl, never PERL.

      > The [Perl] script creates a web page using the "print" command lines.
      > The script works fine until I include a Java <script> into the code,

      I think you mean a JavaScript script. Java is a vastly different
      programming language than JavaScript.

      > ... which does not run and creates the message "yapache in free():
      > warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense" in the script.log.

      Which line number was indicated in the error?

      What is on that line in your code? Show a few lines above and below that
      line.

      > Can you not use a [JavaScript] script within a [Perl] script?

      You can use Perl to add JavaScript code to a web page. You cannot run a
      JavaScript script in a Perl script. One reason for this is that Perl is
      run on the web server and JavaScript is (generally) run in the browser
      on the client computer.

      > Can you launch a web page directly from a [Perl] script command, or do
      > you have to do it from the [JavaScript script]?

      You can send text (HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, etc.) to a browser with
      Perl.

      JavaScript is (generally) run in the browser. It can be used to launch
      new web pages, but the script has to be sent to (and run in) a browser
      first.

      HTH,

      Charles Clarkson
      --
      I'm not really a smart person. I just play one on the Internet.
    • afbach1
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
        > The PERL script creates a web page using the "print" command lines. The
        script
        works fine until I include a Java \n";

        A Java "\n"? (really - it's a "Perl script" - that upper case is like
        fingernails on the blackboard). But not sure what this means. "\n" is a
        valid Perl metachar for new line - you can use it in a print stmt or a
        string.

        > Can you not use a Java script within a Perl script?

        Er, it would depend. "Java", generally, isn't considered a scripting sort
        of language. My guess is you mean JavaScript ("JS"), the ill-named,
        browser based language used on many web sites. Perl can write web pages
        and print out the JS text that the browser will later run. Need to include
        <script> tags etc.

        >Can you launch a web page directly from a Perl script command, or do you
        have to
        do it from the Java script

        Er, "launch a web page" doesn't make sense. Web pages are displayed via
        web servers. Perl can create web pages (even dynamically, as with cgi
        scripts) that the web server (Apache or IIS, say) will send back to the
        browser to be rendered as a web page. There are modules (LWP for one)
        that will let you fetch web pages (via a URL) as if your script was a
        browser but I don't think that's what you meant either.

        Andy Bach
        Systems Mangler
        Internet: andy_bach@...
        Voice: (608) 261-5738, Cell: (608) 658-1890

        "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
        themselves upon execution."
        Robert Sewell.