Regarding sdbm error mesage

  • Md. Musfique Anwar
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
      Deal All,

      Hope all of you are fine.

      I am a beginner in Perl programming. I got this error when I tied a hash to
      a dbm file:

      sdbm store returned -1, errno 19, key .............

      I will be happy to know the solution.

      regards-

      Musfique Anwar

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2012
        Hi Musfique,

        On Sun, 21 Oct 2012 20:00:31 +0900
        "Md. Musfique Anwar" <musfique.anwar@...> wrote:

        > Deal All,
        >
        > Hope all of you are fine.
        >
        > I am a beginner in Perl programming. I got this error when I tied a
        > hash to a dbm file:
        >
        > sdbm store returned -1, errno 19, key .............
        >
        > I will be happy to know the solution.

        I believe you should not be using SDBM (which is pretty old) or the
        tied-hash version of accessing it. For alternatives, see the article:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dbm

        Both BerkeleyDB (which is under a GPL-like licence) and Google LevelDB
        (BSD-style) should be OK. LevelDB has this wrapper on CPAN:

        https://metacpan.org/module/Tie::LevelDB

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2012
          Hi Musfique,

          please reply to the mailing list instead of to me in private (as I
          specifically note in the last line of my message). From the gmail.com
          interface, hit "Reply All".

          On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:51:42 +0900
          "Md. Musfique Anwar" <musfique.anwar@...> wrote:

          > Dear Shlomif,
          >
          > Thanks for your e-mail.
          >
          > When I execute the code using
          >
          > use Tie::LevelDB <https://metacpan.org/module/Tie::LevelDB>;
          >
          > tie my %hash, 'Tie::LevelDB', "/tmp/testdb";
          >
          > I got error message mentioned that "Can't locate Tie/LevelDB.pm".

          1. You should install Tie::LevelDB from CPAN (and the Google LevelDB
          C++ library which is its dependency). See:

          * http://perl-begin.org/topics/cpan/

          * http://perl-begin.org/topics/cpan/wrappers-for-distributions/

          2. Don't use Tie::LevelDB's tie interface. Use the object-oriented one
          which mirrors the C++ API.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish