Yahoo Small Business Perl server issue

  • johnlikeglass
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2012
      Ran into this problem which caused a bit of gray hair and took about a month to resolve. Though I would pass this along.
      Basically, for years I have hosted sites on Yahoo Small Business that were written in Perl and the sites have run flawlessly. In July of this year, I started seeing "500" errors, but found nothing in my "error.txt" file.
      When I called into tech support, they could not figure it out and blamed it on the scripts.

      To cut to the chase, here is what is going on:
      Yahoo is rolling out new Red Hat servers running Fast-CGI and there are a couple of changes that need to be made to scripts to get things working correctly.
      For one, most of us include a error trap that looks something like this:

      BEGIN {
      open (STDERR, ">>error.txt");
      }

      Well, the new servers run their own error check that trips up when it also tries to run the perl error check. The fix is to delete or rem' out the above script and use Yahoo's log files to check for errors.

      Second problem: Post did not use to need the full file name. For example:

      myscript?text=something&password=hello

      Now, you need to include the perl extension:

      myscript.pl?text=something&password=hello

      Without the extension, you may get a "Permission denied" page.

      One other note; every perl script that includes disk access puts a warning in the scripts.log file.

      "yapache in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense"

      This appears to be a red herring from what their techs tell me.

      Just though I would pass this all along.
    • davebest99
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi! I have a "red herring" that is driving me crazy. I found your comment, and hope you can help.
        I have a Yahoo Small Business web page with a <form> that calls a PERL script. The PERL script creates a web page using the "print" command lines. The script works fine until I include a Java <script> into the code, which does not run and creates the message "yapache in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense" in the script.log.
        <Code>
        print "<script type='text/javascript'>function getProj()\n";
        print "{ ...code... }\n";
        print "window.onload = getProj;</script>\n";
        </Code>
        Can you not use a Java script within a PERL script?
        Can you launch a web page directly from a PERL script command, or do you have to do it from the Java script?

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "johnlikeglass" wrote:

        > Ran into this problem which caused a bit of gray hair and took about a month to resolve. Though I would pass this along.
        > Basically, for years I have hosted sites on Yahoo Small Business that were written in Perl and the sites have run flawlessly. In July of this year, I started seeing "500" errors, but found nothing in my "error.txt" file.
        > When I called into tech support, they could not figure it out and blamed it on the scripts.
        >
        > To cut to the chase, here is what is going on:
        > Yahoo is rolling out new Red Hat servers running Fast-CGI and there are a couple of changes that need to be made to scripts to get things working correctly.
        > For one, most of us include a error trap that looks something like this:
        >
        > BEGIN {
        > open (STDERR, ">>error.txt");
        > }
        >
        > Well, the new servers run their own error check that trips up when it also tries to run the perl error check. The fix is to delete or rem' out the above script and use Yahoo's log files to check for errors.
        >
        > Second problem: Post did not use to need the full file name. For example:
        >
        > myscript?text=something&password=hello
        >
        > Now, you need to include the perl extension:
        >
        > myscript.pl?text=something&password=hello
        >
        > Without the extension, you may get a "Permission denied" page.
        >
        > One other note; every perl script that includes disk access puts a warning in the scripts.log file.
        >
        > "yapache in free(): warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense"
        >
        > This appears to be a red herring from what their techs tell me.
        >
        > Just though I would pass this all along.

      • Charles K. Clarkson
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
          On 2/12/2013 3:09 PM, davebest99 wrote:

          > I have a Yahoo Small Business web page with a <form> that calls a PERL
          > script.

          The language is named Perl, never PERL.

          > The [Perl] script creates a web page using the "print" command lines.
          > The script works fine until I include a Java <script> into the code,

          I think you mean a JavaScript script. Java is a vastly different
          programming language than JavaScript.

          > ... which does not run and creates the message "yapache in free():
          > warning: junk pointer, too high to make sense" in the script.log.

          Which line number was indicated in the error?

          What is on that line in your code? Show a few lines above and below that
          line.

          > Can you not use a [JavaScript] script within a [Perl] script?

          You can use Perl to add JavaScript code to a web page. You cannot run a
          JavaScript script in a Perl script. One reason for this is that Perl is
          run on the web server and JavaScript is (generally) run in the browser
          on the client computer.

          > Can you launch a web page directly from a [Perl] script command, or do
          > you have to do it from the [JavaScript script]?

          You can send text (HTML, CSS, XML, JavaScript, etc.) to a browser with
          Perl.

          JavaScript is (generally) run in the browser. It can be used to launch
          new web pages, but the script has to be sent to (and run in) a browser
          first.

          HTH,

          Charles Clarkson
          --
          I'm not really a smart person. I just play one on the Internet.
        • afbach1
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 14, 2013
            > The PERL script creates a web page using the "print" command lines. The
            script
            works fine until I include a Java \n";

            A Java "\n"? (really - it's a "Perl script" - that upper case is like
            fingernails on the blackboard). But not sure what this means. "\n" is a
            valid Perl metachar for new line - you can use it in a print stmt or a
            string.

            > Can you not use a Java script within a Perl script?

            Er, it would depend. "Java", generally, isn't considered a scripting sort
            of language. My guess is you mean JavaScript ("JS"), the ill-named,
            browser based language used on many web sites. Perl can write web pages
            and print out the JS text that the browser will later run. Need to include
            <script> tags etc.

            >Can you launch a web page directly from a Perl script command, or do you
            have to
            do it from the Java script

            Er, "launch a web page" doesn't make sense. Web pages are displayed via
            web servers. Perl can create web pages (even dynamically, as with cgi
            scripts) that the web server (Apache or IIS, say) will send back to the
            browser to be rendered as a web page. There are modules (LWP for one)
            that will let you fetch web pages (via a URL) as if your script was a
            browser but I don't think that's what you meant either.

            Andy Bach
            Systems Mangler
            Internet: andy_bach@...
            Voice: (608) 261-5738, Cell: (608) 658-1890

            "If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
            themselves upon execution."
            Robert Sewell.