Re: [PBML] Reading partial array

  • Shlomi Fish
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30, 2012
      Hi Rob,

      On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:36:02 -0400
      Rob Richardson <CedricCicada@...> wrote:

      > Randal,
      >
      > Why not use Switch?
      > Since this is a beginner's forum, an explanation would be helpful.

      Reading from http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/#switch_pm :

      <<<
      One should not use Switch.pm to implement a switch statement because it's a source filter, tends to break a lot of code, and causes unexpected problems. Instead one should either use given/when, which are only available in perl-5.10 and above, or dispatch tables, or alterantively plain if/elsif/else structures.

      Regards,

      Shlomi Fish

      > RobR

      > > jana> use Switch;
      > >
      > > Please don't.

    • BhavinP
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "jana_van" <jana_van@...> wrote:

        > #!/usr/local/roadm/bin/perl
        > # This is compiled with threading support
        > use strict;
        > use warnings;
        > use threads;
        > use threads::shared;
        > use Switch;
        >
        > my @arr=();
        >
        > my $k=0;
        >
        > for($k=0;$k<100;$k++)
        > {
        > push(@arr, $k);
        > }
        >
        > print "\n The array is ", "@arr", "\n";
        > my @temp=();
        >
        > for($k=0; $k<4;$k++)
        > {
        > @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];
        > print "\n The fragmented array is ", "@temp", "\n";
        > @temp=();
        > }
        >
        > In the second for loop, for the first iteration @temp reading 25 elements but for the second iteration onwards the values read by @temp are not as expected. whats the fault here ?
        >
        > My requirement is that @temp should print 25 elments of @arr for each iteration and the original array @arr should be intact. Please help here.
        >
        > Thanks

        my @arr = (1..100);
        my $start = 0;
        my $end = 0;
        my $incr = 25;

        sub get25{
        $end = $start + $incr;
        my @retarr = @arr[$start..$end];
        $start = $end;
        return \@retarr;

        }
      • Joe Pepersack
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
          There are a couple problems with the solution provided by BhavinP, not
          the least of which is that it doesn't duplicate Jana's requirements.
          The subroutine is never invoked, and there is a completely useless
          assignment after the slice.

          In Jana's example, there's no need to use threads or Switch, as the code
          doesn't use those features. Don't use a module or feature that's never
          invoked.

          The first part of your code is easy. Rather than using a for loop to
          assign 0 to 99 to an array, we can use the range (..) operator:

          my @arr = (0..99);

          It's more compact and faster.

          The reason your code isn't working is that you're mis-using the range
          operator in your array slice.
          You have:
          @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];

          You should have
          @temp = @arr[ ($k*25) .. (($k*25)+24) ];

          When doing an array slice, you are telling it the values of the first
          and second array indexes, not the first index and the number of values
          you want. We also have to remember that array indexes are zero-based,
          so we need to adjust accordingly to avoid off-by-one / fencepost
          errors. Doing the math inline makes the code hard to read, so for clarity:

          my $incr = 25;
          for my $k ( 0 .. 3 ) {
          my $start = $incr * $k;
          my $end = $start + ($incr - 1); # parens for clarity
          my @temp = @arr[ $start .. $end ];
          print "Array slice $start to $end is ( @temp )\n";
          }

          This will give us:
          Array slice 0 to 24 is ( ... )
          Array slice 25 to 49 is ( ... )
          Array slice 50 to 74 is ( ... )
          Array slice 75 to 99 is ( ... )

          Printing the values of $start and $end allows us to easily debug the
          code. If we had, for instance, said:
          $end = $start + $incr;
          it would be immediately obvious what the problem was.

          For style and additional clarity it's probably a good idea factor this
          logic out into a function, but that's another lesson. You also
          generally want to try to avoid using C-style for loops. Making your code
          clear and readable should always be a priority.

          On 9/20/12 10:41 AM, BhavinP wrote:

          > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>, "jana_van" <jana_van@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > #!/usr/local/roadm/bin/perl
          > > # This is compiled with threading support
          > > use strict;
          > > use warnings;
          > > use threads;
          > > use threads::shared;
          > > use Switch;
          > >
          > > my @arr=();
          > >
          > > my $k=0;
          > >
          > > for($k=0;$k<100;$k++)
          > > {
          > > push(@arr, $k);
          > > }
          > >
          > > print "\n The array is ", "@arr", "\n";
          > > my @temp=();
          > >
          > > for($k=0; $k<4;$k++)
          > > {
          > > @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];
          > > print "\n The fragmented array is ", "@temp", "\n";
          > > @temp=();
          > > }
          > >
          > > In the second for loop, for the first iteration @temp reading 25
          > elements but for the second iteration onwards the values read by @temp
          > are not as expected. whats the fault here ?
          > >
          > > My requirement is that @temp should print 25 elments of @arr for
          > each iteration and the original array @arr should be intact. Please
          > help here.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >

          > my @arr = (1..100);
          > my $start = 0;
          > my $end = 0;
          > my $incr = 25;
          >
          > sub get25{
          > $end = $start + $incr;
          > my @retarr = @arr[$start..$end];
          > $start = $end;
          > return \@retarr;

        • BhavinP
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
            well, my code was just to point in the right direction. a module that will give you chunks of 25 elements from the array each time its invoked. the last statement after we got the chunk is to move the array pointer 25 elements forward.

            ofcourse , we need to wrap it in a loop like map { print Dumper get25(); } (1..3) in one line would do it...