Re: [PBML] Reading partial array

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 30 9:36 AM
      Randal,

      Why not use Switch?
      Since this is a beginner's forum, an explanation would be helpful.

      RobR

      On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:44 AM, <merlyn@...> wrote:

      > jana> use Switch;
      >
      > Please don't.
    • Matthew K
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 30 10:43 AM
        The author of Switch posted this.

        http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=486756

        For those of you who don't want to click, he lists it under, "modules you shouldn't use in production because their purpose is to explore and prototype future core language features".

        --
        Matthew Kunzman
        Software Engineer

        Email: matt_hew@...
        LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-kunzman/b/5ba/94a

        >________________________________

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 30 10:44 AM
          Hi Rob,

          On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:36:02 -0400
          Rob Richardson <CedricCicada@...> wrote:

          > Randal,
          >
          > Why not use Switch?
          > Since this is a beginner's forum, an explanation would be helpful.

          Reading from http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/#switch_pm :

          <<<
          One should not use Switch.pm to implement a switch statement because it's a source filter, tends to break a lot of code, and causes unexpected problems. Instead one should either use given/when, which are only available in perl-5.10 and above, or dispatch tables, or alterantively plain if/elsif/else structures.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

          > RobR

          > > jana> use Switch;
          > >
          > > Please don't.

        • BhavinP
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 20, 2012
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, "jana_van" <jana_van@...> wrote:

            > #!/usr/local/roadm/bin/perl
            > # This is compiled with threading support
            > use strict;
            > use warnings;
            > use threads;
            > use threads::shared;
            > use Switch;
            >
            > my @arr=();
            >
            > my $k=0;
            >
            > for($k=0;$k<100;$k++)
            > {
            > push(@arr, $k);
            > }
            >
            > print "\n The array is ", "@arr", "\n";
            > my @temp=();
            >
            > for($k=0; $k<4;$k++)
            > {
            > @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];
            > print "\n The fragmented array is ", "@temp", "\n";
            > @temp=();
            > }
            >
            > In the second for loop, for the first iteration @temp reading 25 elements but for the second iteration onwards the values read by @temp are not as expected. whats the fault here ?
            >
            > My requirement is that @temp should print 25 elments of @arr for each iteration and the original array @arr should be intact. Please help here.
            >
            > Thanks

            my @arr = (1..100);
            my $start = 0;
            my $end = 0;
            my $incr = 25;

            sub get25{
            $end = $start + $incr;
            my @retarr = @arr[$start..$end];
            $start = $end;
            return \@retarr;

            }
          • Joe Pepersack
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 23, 2012
              There are a couple problems with the solution provided by BhavinP, not
              the least of which is that it doesn't duplicate Jana's requirements.
              The subroutine is never invoked, and there is a completely useless
              assignment after the slice.

              In Jana's example, there's no need to use threads or Switch, as the code
              doesn't use those features. Don't use a module or feature that's never
              invoked.

              The first part of your code is easy. Rather than using a for loop to
              assign 0 to 99 to an array, we can use the range (..) operator:

              my @arr = (0..99);

              It's more compact and faster.

              The reason your code isn't working is that you're mis-using the range
              operator in your array slice.
              You have:
              @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];

              You should have
              @temp = @arr[ ($k*25) .. (($k*25)+24) ];

              When doing an array slice, you are telling it the values of the first
              and second array indexes, not the first index and the number of values
              you want. We also have to remember that array indexes are zero-based,
              so we need to adjust accordingly to avoid off-by-one / fencepost
              errors. Doing the math inline makes the code hard to read, so for clarity:

              my $incr = 25;
              for my $k ( 0 .. 3 ) {
              my $start = $incr * $k;
              my $end = $start + ($incr - 1); # parens for clarity
              my @temp = @arr[ $start .. $end ];
              print "Array slice $start to $end is ( @temp )\n";
              }

              This will give us:
              Array slice 0 to 24 is ( ... )
              Array slice 25 to 49 is ( ... )
              Array slice 50 to 74 is ( ... )
              Array slice 75 to 99 is ( ... )

              Printing the values of $start and $end allows us to easily debug the
              code. If we had, for instance, said:
              $end = $start + $incr;
              it would be immediately obvious what the problem was.

              For style and additional clarity it's probably a good idea factor this
              logic out into a function, but that's another lesson. You also
              generally want to try to avoid using C-style for loops. Making your code
              clear and readable should always be a priority.

              On 9/20/12 10:41 AM, BhavinP wrote:

              > --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:perl-beginner%40yahoogroups.com>, "jana_van" <jana_van@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > #!/usr/local/roadm/bin/perl
              > > # This is compiled with threading support
              > > use strict;
              > > use warnings;
              > > use threads;
              > > use threads::shared;
              > > use Switch;
              > >
              > > my @arr=();
              > >
              > > my $k=0;
              > >
              > > for($k=0;$k<100;$k++)
              > > {
              > > push(@arr, $k);
              > > }
              > >
              > > print "\n The array is ", "@arr", "\n";
              > > my @temp=();
              > >
              > > for($k=0; $k<4;$k++)
              > > {
              > > @temp = @arr[25*$k .. 25];
              > > print "\n The fragmented array is ", "@temp", "\n";
              > > @temp=();
              > > }
              > >
              > > In the second for loop, for the first iteration @temp reading 25
              > elements but for the second iteration onwards the values read by @temp
              > are not as expected. whats the fault here ?
              > >
              > > My requirement is that @temp should print 25 elments of @arr for
              > each iteration and the original array @arr should be intact. Please
              > help here.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >

              > my @arr = (1..100);
              > my $start = 0;
              > my $end = 0;
              > my $incr = 25;
              >
              > sub get25{
              > $end = $start + $incr;
              > my @retarr = @arr[$start..$end];
              > $start = $end;
              > return \@retarr;

            • BhavinP
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 24, 2012
                well, my code was just to point in the right direction. a module that will give you chunks of 25 elements from the array each time its invoked. the last statement after we got the chunk is to move the array pointer 25 elements forward.

                ofcourse , we need to wrap it in a loop like map { print Dumper get25(); } (1..3) in one line would do it...