Re: [PBML] Really a true beginner

  • Phil Pinkerton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
      Thanks I'll get started on your recommendations

      On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:36 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

      > Hi knowledgevision,
      >
      > first of all, I should note that you are likely to receive better help on
      > beginners@... :
      >
      > http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html
      >
      > On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 13:22:33 -0000
      > "knowledgevisionstaythirsty" <pcpinkerton@...> wrote:
      >
      >> 1) Assigned a task to extract data fron a text file.
      >> 2) Output file needs to be very specific, and created monthly
      >> 3) tried doing in korn shell too complex
      >> 4) Figured Perl my best option, but don't know Perl
      >> 5) Bought The Perl CD Book Shelf
      >
      > I'm glad you're willing to pay for Perl material. However, according to:
      >
      > http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=522666
      >
      > Even the latest Perl CD bookshelf was out-of-date back then (in 2006), and even
      > more so now.
      >
      > I would suggest you look into:
      >
      > * http://perl-tutorial.org/
      >
      > And later http://perl-begin.org/ and
      > http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/ .
      >
      >> 6) Installed Strawberry Perl
      >
      > It's great that you're using Strawberry Perl instead of ActivePerl. Also see
      > http://dwimperl.com/ which is based on Strawberry Perl and may make your life even easier.
      >

      >> Output format is simple, but extracting the data I haven't a clue where to start.
      >> I am starting to open the book today so any advise is welcome ( I am not trying to get someone to write this for me, just point me in the right direction )
      >
      > You should probably look into regular expressions and other forms of parsing.
      > See:
      >
      > * http://perl-begin.org/topics/regular-expressions/
      >
      > * http://perl-begin.org/uses/text-parsing/
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Shlomi Fish
      >
      >> [SNIPPED]

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012
        Hi Rob,

        On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 11:00:50 -0400
        Rob Richardson <CedricCicada@...> wrote:

        > Schlomi,

        It's "Shlomi".

        > Thanks for your recommendations.
        >
        > I am quite behind the times. Why is Strawberry Perl better than ActivePerl?

        off the top of my head:

        1. Strawberry Perl is open-source whereas ActivePerl is proprietary.

        2. Strawberry Perl is maintained and supported by the community.

        3. Strawberry Perl allows you to easily install CPAN modules using the
        standard C compiler because it contains a MinGW build toolchain and other
        required tools and libraries.

        4. DWIM Perl, which is based on Strawberry, contains a large amount of other
        useful CPAN modules.

        5. Larry Wall uses Strawberry Perl when he's on Windows -
        http://strawberryperl.com/ . ;-)

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2, 2012

          knowledgevisionstaythirsty> 5) Bought The Perl CD Book Shelf

          The Perl CD Bookshelf is *quite* old (at least a decade and a half).
          You'd be better off subscribing to Safari (www.safaribooksonline.com) if
          you want up-to-date Perl books in an e-book form.

        • Phil Pinkerton
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
            Oh well I only paid $5.00

            Now I also have the Modern Perl 2011-2012 PDF version
            and various links.

            So far no success even in just doing a simple extraction of a users name and printing it.
            can do easily in k-shell but not so in Perl yet.