Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Tariq Hasan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2012
      Thanks Shawn

      I have got this far:

      Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
      some missing parameters...

      The following questions are intended to help you with the
      configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
      important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
      This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

      First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
      <cpan_home>
      CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
      Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
      CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
      supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
      <keep_source_where>
      Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
      <build_dir>
      Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
      Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
      be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
      between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
      to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
      <auto_commit>
      Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
      What to do now?

      Can you advise please?

      Regards

      Tariq

      --
      Regards

      Tariq Hasan

      Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
      Email: taz.hasan@...

    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2012
        On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
        > Can you advise please?

        Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
        your OS, so they should work.

        For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2012
          SHawn

          Ive got this far:

          If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
          CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
          the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
          <ftp_proxy>
          Your ftp_proxy? []
          <http_proxy>
          Your http_proxy? []
          <no_proxy>
          Your no_proxy? []
          You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
          I'm trying to fetch one
          CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
          CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
          Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
          push ftp://myurl/'
          Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
          CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
          Please enter your CPAN site: []
          Now what?

          Regards

          Tariq

          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2012

            Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

            If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
            box.

            Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
            that proxy at the earlier questions.

            And for the obligatory public service announcement:

            *
            * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
            *
            * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
            * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
            *
            * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
            *