Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Shawn H Corey
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10 5:13 AM
      On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
      > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
      > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

      Welcome to the group. Try:

      $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

      --
      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      Shawn

      as it is about coding.

      [updated for today's programming]
      "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
      to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
      your code; it'll be obvious."
      -- Fred Brooks

      CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
      The world's largest repository of software;
      all of it tested; all of it free.
    • Tariq Hasan
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10 6:13 AM
        Thanks Shawn

        I have got this far:

        Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
        some missing parameters...

        The following questions are intended to help you with the
        configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
        important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
        This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

        First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
        <cpan_home>
        CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
        Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
        CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
        supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
        <keep_source_where>
        Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
        <build_dir>
        Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
        Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
        be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
        between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
        to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
        <auto_commit>
        Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
        What to do now?

        Can you advise please?

        Regards

        Tariq

        On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
        > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
        > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
        >
        > Welcome to the group. Try:
        >
        > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
        >
        > --
        > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        > Shawn
        >
        > Programming is as much about organization and communication
        > as it is about coding.
        >
        > [updated for today's programming]
        > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
        > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
        > your code; it'll be obvious."
        > -- Fred Brooks
        >
        > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
        > The world's largest repository of software;
        > all of it tested; all of it free.

        --
        Regards

        Tariq Hasan

        Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
        Email: taz.hasan@...

      • Shawn H Corey
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10 6:30 AM
          On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
          > Can you advise please?

          Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
          your OS, so they should work.

          For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

          Message 4 of 14 , May 10 6:34 AM
            SHawn

            Ive got this far:

            If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
            CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
            the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
            <ftp_proxy>
            Your ftp_proxy? []
            <http_proxy>
            Your http_proxy? []
            <no_proxy>
            Your no_proxy? []
            You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
            I'm trying to fetch one
            CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
            CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
            Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
            push ftp://myurl/'
            Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
            CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
            Please enter your CPAN site: []
            Now what?

            Regards

            Tariq

            Message 5 of 14 , May 10 8:21 AM

              Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

              If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
              box.

              Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
              that proxy at the earlier questions.

              And for the obligatory public service announcement:

              *
              * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
              *
              * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
              * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
              *
              * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
              *