Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Tariq Hasan
    Message 1 of 14 , May 10, 2012
      Hi All

      Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
      associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

      Thanks

      Tariq

    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2012
        On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
        > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
        > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

        Welcome to the group. Try:

        $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

        --
        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        Shawn

        as it is about coding.

        [updated for today's programming]
        "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
        to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
        your code; it'll be obvious."
        -- Fred Brooks

        CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
        The world's largest repository of software;
        all of it tested; all of it free.
      • Tariq Hasan
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2012
          Thanks Shawn

          I have got this far:

          Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
          some missing parameters...

          The following questions are intended to help you with the
          configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
          important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
          This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

          First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
          <cpan_home>
          CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
          Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
          CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
          supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
          <keep_source_where>
          Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
          <build_dir>
          Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
          Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
          be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
          between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
          to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
          <auto_commit>
          Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
          What to do now?

          Can you advise please?

          Regards

          Tariq

          On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
          > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
          > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
          >
          > Welcome to the group. Try:
          >
          > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
          >
          > --
          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          > Shawn
          >
          > Programming is as much about organization and communication
          > as it is about coding.
          >
          > [updated for today's programming]
          > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
          > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
          > your code; it'll be obvious."
          > -- Fred Brooks
          >
          > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
          > The world's largest repository of software;
          > all of it tested; all of it free.

          --
          Regards

          Tariq Hasan

          Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
          Email: taz.hasan@...

        • Shawn H Corey
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2012
            On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
            > Can you advise please?

            Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
            your OS, so they should work.

            For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2012
              SHawn

              Ive got this far:

              If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
              CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
              the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
              <ftp_proxy>
              Your ftp_proxy? []
              <http_proxy>
              Your http_proxy? []
              <no_proxy>
              Your no_proxy? []
              You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
              I'm trying to fetch one
              CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
              CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
              Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
              push ftp://myurl/'
              Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
              CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
              Please enter your CPAN site: []
              Now what?

              Regards

              Tariq

              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2012

                Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

                If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
                box.

                Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
                that proxy at the earlier questions.

                And for the obligatory public service announcement:

                *
                * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                *
                * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                *
                * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                *