Re: [PBML] Perl/crystal reports

  • Joe Pepersack
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2012
      What database are you running? Stored procedures, and the methods for
      extending them with non-SQL languages, are all platform specific.
      Performance may be a concern.

      Postgres has by far the best solution: <a
      href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL/Perl">PL/Perl</a>. This allows
      you to run a non-trivial subset of Perl as a Postgres Stored Procedure.

      In Sybase and MS-SQL, you can use xp_cmdshell or a custom extended
      stored procedure. I'm sure Oracle has a similar method, but I'm not
      familiar with it.

      I don't know of a solution for MySQL. MySQL historically has been
      hostile to the idea of stored procedures and adopted them reluctantly.