Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Kimberly KAST
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 13 1:43 PM
      Thanks Eric I will check some out & I have been reading one site another
      member shared.. My husband does allot of those himself but none on perl
      though he has his own website and he talks about different programming
      languages and other related topics..

      Thanks for the welcome to

      Kimberly

      On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...
      > wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Welcome to the group!
      > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and
      > lots..Here are some suggestions:
      > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html
      > http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
      > Good luck to you!

    • Tariq Hasan
      Message 2 of 14 , May 10, 2012
        Hi All

        Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
        associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

        Thanks

        Tariq

      • Shawn H Corey
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2012
          On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
          > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
          > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

          Welcome to the group. Try:

          $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

          --
          Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          Shawn

          as it is about coding.

          [updated for today's programming]
          "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
          to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
          your code; it'll be obvious."
          -- Fred Brooks

          CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
          The world's largest repository of software;
          all of it tested; all of it free.
        • Tariq Hasan
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2012
            Thanks Shawn

            I have got this far:

            Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
            some missing parameters...

            The following questions are intended to help you with the
            configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
            important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
            This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

            First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
            <cpan_home>
            CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
            Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
            CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
            supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
            <keep_source_where>
            Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
            <build_dir>
            Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
            Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
            be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
            between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
            to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
            <auto_commit>
            Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
            What to do now?

            Can you advise please?

            Regards

            Tariq

            On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
            > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
            > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
            >
            > Welcome to the group. Try:
            >
            > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
            >
            > --
            > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            > Shawn
            >
            > Programming is as much about organization and communication
            > as it is about coding.
            >
            > [updated for today's programming]
            > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
            > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
            > your code; it'll be obvious."
            > -- Fred Brooks
            >
            > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
            > The world's largest repository of software;
            > all of it tested; all of it free.

            --
            Regards

            Tariq Hasan

            Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
            Email: taz.hasan@...

          • Shawn H Corey
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2012
              On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
              > Can you advise please?

              Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
              your OS, so they should work.

              For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                SHawn

                Ive got this far:

                If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
                CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
                the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
                <ftp_proxy>
                Your ftp_proxy? []
                <http_proxy>
                Your http_proxy? []
                <no_proxy>
                Your no_proxy? []
                You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
                I'm trying to fetch one
                CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
                CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
                Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
                push ftp://myurl/'
                Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
                CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
                Please enter your CPAN site: []
                Now what?

                Regards

                Tariq

                Message 7 of 14 , May 10, 2012

                  Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

                  If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
                  box.

                  Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
                  that proxy at the earlier questions.

                  And for the obligatory public service announcement:

                  *
                  * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                  *
                  * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                  * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                  *
                  * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                  *