Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Perl Programmer
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
      Support your local library - I picked up /Programming Perl - 4th
      Edition/ by Tom Christiansen et. al. via my local library last week....

      On 4/12/2012 2:30 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
      > Hi Kimberly,
      >
      > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:13:46 -0000
      > "linuxgeekswife"<linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:
      >
      >> Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..
      >>
      > Well, checking out Perl books from the library may not be too recommended
      > because many (most?) Perl books are pretty bad and not recommended, and a lot
      > of the smaller amount of recommended Perl books have become out-of-date. If
      > you can find a copy of the two books I recommended or alternatively a recent
      > edition of the O’Reilly’s book Learning Perl, that would be the best.
      >
      >> Thanks again and thanks for the welcome
      > You're welcome. Just a note:
      >
      >> Kimberly

      >>> Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
      >>> My Public Domain Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/
      >>>
      >>> “My only boss is God. And Chuck Norris who is his boss.â€_
      >>>
      > Your mailer has mangled the UTF-8-encoded text in the quoted signature. This
      > indicates a mal-configuration of it and ought to be fixed.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Shlomi Fish

    • Kimberly KAST
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012
        Thanks Eric I will check some out & I have been reading one site another
        member shared.. My husband does allot of those himself but none on perl
        though he has his own website and he talks about different programming
        languages and other related topics..

        Thanks for the welcome to

        Kimberly

        On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...
        > wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Welcome to the group!
        > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and
        > lots..Here are some suggestions:
        > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html
        > http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
        > Good luck to you!

      • Tariq Hasan
        Message 3 of 14 , May 10, 2012
          Hi All

          Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
          associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

          Thanks

          Tariq

        • Shawn H Corey
          Message 4 of 14 , May 10, 2012
            On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
            > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
            > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

            Welcome to the group. Try:

            $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

            --
            Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            Shawn

            as it is about coding.

            [updated for today's programming]
            "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
            to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
            your code; it'll be obvious."
            -- Fred Brooks

            CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
            The world's largest repository of software;
            all of it tested; all of it free.
          • Tariq Hasan
            Message 5 of 14 , May 10, 2012
              Thanks Shawn

              I have got this far:

              Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
              some missing parameters...

              The following questions are intended to help you with the
              configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
              important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
              This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

              First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
              <cpan_home>
              CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
              Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
              CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
              supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
              <keep_source_where>
              Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
              <build_dir>
              Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
              Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
              be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
              between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
              to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
              <auto_commit>
              Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
              What to do now?

              Can you advise please?

              Regards

              Tariq

              On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
              > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
              > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
              >
              > Welcome to the group. Try:
              >
              > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
              >
              > --
              > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
              > Shawn
              >
              > Programming is as much about organization and communication
              > as it is about coding.
              >
              > [updated for today's programming]
              > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
              > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
              > your code; it'll be obvious."
              > -- Fred Brooks
              >
              > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
              > The world's largest repository of software;
              > all of it tested; all of it free.

              --
              Regards

              Tariq Hasan

              Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
              Email: taz.hasan@...

            • Shawn H Corey
              Message 6 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                > Can you advise please?

                Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
                your OS, so they should work.

                For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                  SHawn

                  Ive got this far:

                  If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
                  CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
                  the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
                  <ftp_proxy>
                  Your ftp_proxy? []
                  <http_proxy>
                  Your http_proxy? []
                  <no_proxy>
                  Your no_proxy? []
                  You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
                  I'm trying to fetch one
                  CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
                  CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
                  Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
                  push ftp://myurl/'
                  Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
                  CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
                  Please enter your CPAN site: []
                  Now what?

                  Regards

                  Tariq

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 10, 2012

                    Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

                    If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
                    box.

                    Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
                    that proxy at the earlier questions.

                    And for the obligatory public service announcement:

                    *
                    * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                    *
                    * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                    * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                    *
                    * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                    *