Re: [PBML] New to group

  • Eric Anderson
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 10, 2012
      Welcome to the group!
      You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and lots..Here are some suggestions:
      http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
      Good luck to you!

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
        Hi Kimberly,

        On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:56:38 -0000
        "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone my name is Kimberly & I am married for 18 yrs now that my kids are getting older I would like to learn more about Perl and different programing languages..
        >
        > My husband has his own website and does a comic on there as well he is all Linux and that is what we run our home on our systems..
        >
        > Hope to get to know you all and learn some of perl I heard it is hard and some say easy so we shall see.

        Welcome aboard! In addition to what Eric said, some other people and I have
        concentrated some recommend Perl beginner resources here:

        http://perl-begin.org/

        Especially recommended are the book Modern Perl by chromatic for those who
        have prior experience with programming, and the first edition of the book
        Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens for those who don't. But we point to many other
        resources there that can prove of use.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • linuxgeekswife
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
          Thank you for the kind welcome Eric & yes I will give it a try by looking some tutorials online... This is one language even my husband knows but does not know much about since he knows almost every other language out there such as C++ & Python ( I think I spelled that right) and a few others just to name a few.

          Again thanks for the welcome and tips

          Kimberly

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...> wrote:

          > Welcome to the group!
          > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and lots..Here are some suggestions:
          > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
          > Good luck to you!

        • linuxgeekswife
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
            Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..

            Thanks again and thanks for the welcome

            Kimberly

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kimberly,
            >
            > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:56:38 -0000
            > "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello everyone my name is Kimberly & I am married for 18 yrs now that my kids are getting older I would like to learn more about Perl and different programing languages..
            > >
            > > My husband has his own website and does a comic on there as well he is all Linux and that is what we run our home on our systems..
            > >
            > > Hope to get to know you all and learn some of perl I heard it is hard and some say easy so we shall see.
            > >

            > Welcome aboard! In addition to what Eric said, some other people and I have
            > concentrated some recommend Perl beginner resources here:
            >
            > http://perl-begin.org/
            >
            > Especially recommended are the book Modern Perl by chromatic for those who
            > have prior experience with programming, and the first edition of the book
            > Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens for those who don't. But we point to many other
            > resources there that can prove of use.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Shlomi Fish

          • Shlomi Fish
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
              Hi Kimberly,

              On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:13:46 -0000
              "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..

              Well, checking out Perl books from the library may not be too recommended
              because many (most?) Perl books are pretty bad and not recommended, and a lot
              of the smaller amount of recommended Perl books have become out-of-date. If
              you can find a copy of the two books I recommended or alternatively a recent
              edition of the O’Reilly’s book Learning Perl, that would be the best.

              > Thanks again and thanks for the welcome

              You're welcome. Just a note:

              > Kimberly

              > > Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
              > > My Public Domain Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/
              > >
              > > “My only boss is God. And Chuck Norris who is his boss.â€_

              Your mailer has mangled the UTF-8-encoded text in the quoted signature. This
              indicates a mal-configuration of it and ought to be fixed.

              Regards,

              Shlomi Fish

            • Perl Programmer
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
                Support your local library - I picked up /Programming Perl - 4th
                Edition/ by Tom Christiansen et. al. via my local library last week....

                On 4/12/2012 2:30 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
                > Hi Kimberly,
                >
                > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:13:46 -0000
                > "linuxgeekswife"<linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..
                >>
                > Well, checking out Perl books from the library may not be too recommended
                > because many (most?) Perl books are pretty bad and not recommended, and a lot
                > of the smaller amount of recommended Perl books have become out-of-date. If
                > you can find a copy of the two books I recommended or alternatively a recent
                > edition of the O’Reilly’s book Learning Perl, that would be the best.
                >
                >> Thanks again and thanks for the welcome
                > You're welcome. Just a note:
                >
                >> Kimberly

                >>> Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                >>> My Public Domain Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/
                >>>
                >>> “My only boss is God. And Chuck Norris who is his boss.â€_
                >>>
                > Your mailer has mangled the UTF-8-encoded text in the quoted signature. This
                > indicates a mal-configuration of it and ought to be fixed.
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Shlomi Fish

              • Kimberly KAST
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012
                  Thanks Eric I will check some out & I have been reading one site another
                  member shared.. My husband does allot of those himself but none on perl
                  though he has his own website and he talks about different programming
                  languages and other related topics..

                  Thanks for the welcome to

                  Kimberly

                  On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...
                  > wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Welcome to the group!
                  > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and
                  > lots..Here are some suggestions:
                  > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html
                  > http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
                  > Good luck to you!

                • Tariq Hasan
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                    Hi All

                    Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                    associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

                    Thanks

                    Tariq

                  • Shawn H Corey
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                      On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                      > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                      > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

                      Welcome to the group. Try:

                      $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

                      --
                      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                      Shawn

                      as it is about coding.

                      [updated for today's programming]
                      "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
                      to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
                      your code; it'll be obvious."
                      -- Fred Brooks

                      CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
                      The world's largest repository of software;
                      all of it tested; all of it free.
                    • Tariq Hasan
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                        Thanks Shawn

                        I have got this far:

                        Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
                        some missing parameters...

                        The following questions are intended to help you with the
                        configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
                        important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
                        This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

                        First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
                        <cpan_home>
                        CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
                        Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
                        CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
                        supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
                        <keep_source_where>
                        Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
                        <build_dir>
                        Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
                        Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
                        be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
                        between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
                        to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
                        <auto_commit>
                        Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
                        What to do now?

                        Can you advise please?

                        Regards

                        Tariq

                        On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                        > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                        > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
                        >
                        > Welcome to the group. Try:
                        >
                        > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
                        >
                        > --
                        > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                        > Shawn
                        >
                        > Programming is as much about organization and communication
                        > as it is about coding.
                        >
                        > [updated for today's programming]
                        > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
                        > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
                        > your code; it'll be obvious."
                        > -- Fred Brooks
                        >
                        > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
                        > The world's largest repository of software;
                        > all of it tested; all of it free.

                        --
                        Regards

                        Tariq Hasan

                        Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
                        Email: taz.hasan@...

                      • Shawn H Corey
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                          On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                          > Can you advise please?

                          Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
                          your OS, so they should work.

                          For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                            SHawn

                            Ive got this far:

                            If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
                            CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
                            the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
                            <ftp_proxy>
                            Your ftp_proxy? []
                            <http_proxy>
                            Your http_proxy? []
                            <no_proxy>
                            Your no_proxy? []
                            You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
                            I'm trying to fetch one
                            CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
                            CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
                            Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
                            push ftp://myurl/'
                            Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
                            CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
                            Please enter your CPAN site: []
                            Now what?

                            Regards

                            Tariq

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 10, 2012

                              Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

                              If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
                              box.

                              Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
                              that proxy at the earlier questions.

                              And for the obligatory public service announcement:

                              *
                              * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                              *
                              * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                              * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                              *
                              * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                              *