New to group

  • linuxgeekswife
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 10, 2012
      Hello everyone my name is Kimberly & I am married for 18 yrs now that my kids are getting older I would like to learn more about Perl and different programing languages..

      My husband has his own website and does a comic on there as well he is all Linux and that is what we run our home on our systems..

      Hope to get to know you all and learn some of perl I heard it is hard and some say easy so we shall see.

      Thank you for letting me join

      Kimberly
    • Eric Anderson
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 10, 2012
        Welcome to the group!
        You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and lots..Here are some suggestions:
        http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
        Good luck to you!

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
          Hi Kimberly,

          On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:56:38 -0000
          "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone my name is Kimberly & I am married for 18 yrs now that my kids are getting older I would like to learn more about Perl and different programing languages..
          >
          > My husband has his own website and does a comic on there as well he is all Linux and that is what we run our home on our systems..
          >
          > Hope to get to know you all and learn some of perl I heard it is hard and some say easy so we shall see.

          Welcome aboard! In addition to what Eric said, some other people and I have
          concentrated some recommend Perl beginner resources here:

          http://perl-begin.org/

          Especially recommended are the book Modern Perl by chromatic for those who
          have prior experience with programming, and the first edition of the book
          Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens for those who don't. But we point to many other
          resources there that can prove of use.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

        • linuxgeekswife
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
            Thank you for the kind welcome Eric & yes I will give it a try by looking some tutorials online... This is one language even my husband knows but does not know much about since he knows almost every other language out there such as C++ & Python ( I think I spelled that right) and a few others just to name a few.

            Again thanks for the welcome and tips

            Kimberly

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...> wrote:

            > Welcome to the group!
            > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and lots..Here are some suggestions:
            > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
            > Good luck to you!

          • linuxgeekswife
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2012
              Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..

              Thanks again and thanks for the welcome

              Kimberly

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shlomi Fish <shlomif@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kimberly,
              >
              > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:56:38 -0000
              > "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello everyone my name is Kimberly & I am married for 18 yrs now that my kids are getting older I would like to learn more about Perl and different programing languages..
              > >
              > > My husband has his own website and does a comic on there as well he is all Linux and that is what we run our home on our systems..
              > >
              > > Hope to get to know you all and learn some of perl I heard it is hard and some say easy so we shall see.
              > >

              > Welcome aboard! In addition to what Eric said, some other people and I have
              > concentrated some recommend Perl beginner resources here:
              >
              > http://perl-begin.org/
              >
              > Especially recommended are the book Modern Perl by chromatic for those who
              > have prior experience with programming, and the first edition of the book
              > Beginning Perl by Simon Cozens for those who don't. But we point to many other
              > resources there that can prove of use.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Shlomi Fish

            • Shlomi Fish
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
                Hi Kimberly,

                On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:13:46 -0000
                "linuxgeekswife" <linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..

                Well, checking out Perl books from the library may not be too recommended
                because many (most?) Perl books are pretty bad and not recommended, and a lot
                of the smaller amount of recommended Perl books have become out-of-date. If
                you can find a copy of the two books I recommended or alternatively a recent
                edition of the O’Reilly’s book Learning Perl, that would be the best.

                > Thanks again and thanks for the welcome

                You're welcome. Just a note:

                > Kimberly

                > > Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                > > My Public Domain Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/
                > >
                > > “My only boss is God. And Chuck Norris who is his boss.â€_

                Your mailer has mangled the UTF-8-encoded text in the quoted signature. This
                indicates a mal-configuration of it and ought to be fixed.

                Regards,

                Shlomi Fish

              • Perl Programmer
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 12, 2012
                  Support your local library - I picked up /Programming Perl - 4th
                  Edition/ by Tom Christiansen et. al. via my local library last week....

                  On 4/12/2012 2:30 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:
                  > Hi Kimberly,
                  >
                  > On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 13:13:46 -0000
                  > "linuxgeekswife"<linuxgeekswife@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> Thanks Shlomi I will take that advice as well and check these out maybe even try going to the library which I have wanted to do the last few weeks with our weather being so great and check out some books on perl..
                  >>
                  > Well, checking out Perl books from the library may not be too recommended
                  > because many (most?) Perl books are pretty bad and not recommended, and a lot
                  > of the smaller amount of recommended Perl books have become out-of-date. If
                  > you can find a copy of the two books I recommended or alternatively a recent
                  > edition of the O’Reilly’s book Learning Perl, that would be the best.
                  >
                  >> Thanks again and thanks for the welcome
                  > You're welcome. Just a note:
                  >
                  >> Kimberly

                  >>> Shlomi Fish http://www.shlomifish.org/
                  >>> My Public Domain Photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/shlomif/
                  >>>
                  >>> “My only boss is God. And Chuck Norris who is his boss.â€_
                  >>>
                  > Your mailer has mangled the UTF-8-encoded text in the quoted signature. This
                  > indicates a mal-configuration of it and ought to be fixed.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Shlomi Fish

                • Kimberly KAST
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 13, 2012
                    Thanks Eric I will check some out & I have been reading one site another
                    member shared.. My husband does allot of those himself but none on perl
                    though he has his own website and he talks about different programming
                    languages and other related topics..

                    Thanks for the welcome to

                    Kimberly

                    On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Eric Anderson <eanderson_ca@...
                    > wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Welcome to the group!
                    > You might look for Perl tutorials on the internet. There are lots... and
                    > lots..Here are some suggestions:
                    > http://www.onyxneon.com/books/modern_perl/index.html
                    > http://www.reddit.com/r/perl/
                    > Good luck to you!

                  • Tariq Hasan
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                      Hi All

                      Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                      associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

                      Thanks

                      Tariq

                    • Shawn H Corey
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                        On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                        > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                        > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?

                        Welcome to the group. Try:

                        $ sudo cpan Date::Manip

                        --
                        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                        Shawn

                        as it is about coding.

                        [updated for today's programming]
                        "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
                        to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
                        your code; it'll be obvious."
                        -- Fred Brooks

                        CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
                        The world's largest repository of software;
                        all of it tested; all of it free.
                      • Tariq Hasan
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                          Thanks Shawn

                          I have got this far:

                          Sorry, we have to rerun the configuration dialog for CPAN.pm due to
                          some missing parameters...

                          The following questions are intended to help you with the
                          configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache
                          important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.
                          This may be a site-wide or a personal directory.

                          First of all, I'd like to create this directory. Where?
                          <cpan_home>
                          CPAN build and cache directory? [/.cpan]
                          Unless you are accessing the CPAN on your filesystem via a file: URL,
                          CPAN.pm needs to keep the source files it downloads somewhere. Please
                          supply a directory where the downloaded files are to be kept.
                          <keep_source_where>
                          Download target directory? [/.cpan/sources]
                          <build_dir>
                          Directory where the build process takes place? [/.cpan/build]
                          Normally CPAN.pm keeps config variables in memory and changes need to
                          be saved in a separate 'o conf commit' command to make them permanent
                          between sessions. If you set the 'auto_commit' option to true, changes
                          to a config variable are always automatically committed to disk.
                          <auto_commit>
                          Always commit changes to config variables to disk? [no]
                          What to do now?

                          Can you advise please?

                          Regards

                          Tariq

                          On 10 May 2012 13:13, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > On 12-05-10 07:50 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                          > > Any idea where I can download the perl module date::manip 5.8.8, and any
                          > > associated install/compile instructions for HP-UX 11.31?
                          >
                          > Welcome to the group. Try:
                          >
                          > $ sudo cpan Date::Manip
                          >
                          > --
                          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                          > Shawn
                          >
                          > Programming is as much about organization and communication
                          > as it is about coding.
                          >
                          > [updated for today's programming]
                          > "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
                          > to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
                          > your code; it'll be obvious."
                          > -- Fred Brooks
                          >
                          > CPAN http://www.cpan.org/
                          > The world's largest repository of software;
                          > all of it tested; all of it free.

                          --
                          Regards

                          Tariq Hasan

                          Mobile: +44 (0)7725 894066
                          Email: taz.hasan@...

                        • Shawn H Corey
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                            On 12-05-10 09:13 AM, Tariq Hasan wrote:
                            > Can you advise please?

                            Normally, I choose the default values. The configure adapts itself to
                            your OS, so they should work.

                            For more information, see `perldoc cpan`.

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 10, 2012
                              SHawn

                              Ive got this far:

                              If you're accessing the net via proxies, you can specify them in the
                              CPAN configuration or via environment variables. The variable in
                              the $CPAN::Config takes precedence.
                              <ftp_proxy>
                              Your ftp_proxy? []
                              <http_proxy>
                              Your http_proxy? []
                              <no_proxy>
                              Your no_proxy? []
                              You have no /.cpan/sources/MIRRORED.BY
                              I'm trying to fetch one
                              CPAN: LWP::UserAgent loaded ok (v5.819)
                              CPAN: Time::HiRes loaded ok (v1.86)
                              Your urllist is empty! The urllist can be edited. E.g. with 'o conf urllist
                              push ftp://myurl/'
                              Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY
                              CPAN.pm needs at least one URL where it can fetch CPAN files from.
                              Please enter your CPAN site: []
                              Now what?

                              Regards

                              Tariq

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 10, 2012

                                Tariq> Could not fetch MIRRORED.BY

                                If you can't fetch that, you're likely not seeing the internet from your
                                box.

                                Fix that first. If you have to use a proxy, you should have answered
                                that proxy at the earlier questions.

                                And for the obligatory public service announcement:

                                *
                                * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                                *
                                * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                                * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                                *
                                * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                                *