Re: [PBML] Calling a local perl script from a web browser.

  • Matthew K
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      You can use ActiveX and Javascript to do it in IE, pending you set up your browser correctly.
      http://www.olavaukan.com/2010/02/using-activex-to-launch-desktop-applications-from-sharepoint/%c2%a0

      Matt

      >________________________________

    • Shlomi Fish
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
        Hi Christopher,

        On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:07:32 +0100
        Christopher Chatfield <chris@...> wrote:

        > Is it possible to use javascript to call a perl script on a local machine?
        >
        > I want to create a search engine for my locally stored files, which
        > include wget fetched archives.

        In addition to what Matthew said about IE and ActiveX, then a custom Firefox
        extension should be able to do it as well (There's
        https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefly/ which is a
        file manager implemented as a Firefox extension), and I also believe you can
        write a Chromium-browser extension for that.

        Otherwise, the more natural way to go along doing something like that is to set
        up a web-service for the search either on http://localhost/ or somewhere else,
        and query it using HTTP.

        Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

      • Paul.G
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
          Hi

          I have written a script that does what I want, but it looks rather messy. Would be interested if any one could indicate how I could make it more efficient. The perl script and output is below.

          #!/usr/bin/perl
          use strict;
          use warnings;

          my @result;
          my $result;
          my $PV;
          my @PV;
          my $junk1;
          my $junk2;
          my $junk3;
          my $AllocatedPE;

          open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/vgdisplay -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name'|");
          undef($/);
          $result = <CMD>;

          @result = split(/\n/,$result);

          foreach $result (@result) {
                    my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);
                    print "$PV   \n";
                    push @PV, $PV;
          }

          foreach $PV (@PV) {
                 open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/pvdisplay $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|");
                 ($junk1, $junk2, $AllocatedPE) = split(/\s+/, <CMD>);
                 if ($AllocatedPE == 0) {
                     print "Unallocated PV with free extents is $PV \n";

          Result:

          /dev/disk/disk46
          /dev/disk/disk48
          /dev/disk/disk47
          Unallocated PV with free extents is /dev/disk/disk48

          cheers

          Paul

          .

        • Shawn H Corey
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
            On 12-04-03 09:18 AM, Paul.G wrote:
            > my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);

            Unused items should be undef:

            my (undef, undef, undef, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);

            You could alternately use an index:

            my $PV = (split(/\s+/, $result))[3];

            --
            Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            Shawn

            as it is about coding.

            [updated for today's programmers]
            "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
            to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
            your code; it'll be obvious."
            -- Fred Brooks

            Don't be clever; being great is good enough.
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012

              my @result = grep /PV Name/, `/usr/sbin/vdisplay -v vg03`;

              Paul> foreach $result (@result) {
              Paul>           my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);
              Paul>           print "$PV   \n";
              Paul>           push @PV, $PV;
              Paul> }

              What Shawn said.

              Paul> foreach $PV (@PV) {
              Paul>        open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/pvdisplay $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|");
              Paul>        ($junk1, $junk2, $AllocatedPE) = split(/\s+/, <CMD>);
              Paul>        if ($AllocatedPE == 0) {
              Paul>            print "Unallocated PV with free extents is $PV \n";
              Paul>        }
              Paul> }

            • Matthew K
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                DISCLAIMER: I don't have vgdisplay, so I can't really test this to see if it works, but it might be a little simpler to start with something closer to this.

                while (`/usr/sbin/vgdisplay
                -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name| awk '{print
                $4}'`) {

                next if  $_ !~ /^\//;
                      print "Unallocated
                PV with free extents is $_ \n" unless ( `/usr/sbin/pvdisplay
                $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|awk '{print $3}'`);
                }

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012

                  Matthew> while (`/usr/sbin/vgdisplay
                  Matthew> -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name| awk '{print
                  Matthew> $4}'`) {
                  Matthew>
                  Matthew> next if  $_ !~ /^\//;
                  Matthew>       print "Unallocated
                  Matthew> PV with free extents is $_ \n" unless ( `/usr/sbin/pvdisplay
                  Matthew> $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|awk '{print $3}'`);
                  Matthew> }

                  Oh, hell no. perl, grep, awk, shell! Seriously. :(

                  Also, my public announcement that must be repeated from time to time,
                  as made evidenced above.

                  *
                  * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                  *
                  * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                  * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                  *
                  * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                  *

                • Tim Lewis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                    Please forgive the hijack Randall. Will you be at the Perl conference in Madison?

                  • Randal L. Schwartz
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                      YAPC? Yes, I'm doing a two hour git tutorial.

                      Sent from my iPhone, so blame it for any speeling misteaks.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 6, 2012
                        Thanks again for everyone's input, much appreciated.