Calling a local perl script from a web browser.

  • Christopher Chatfield
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
      Is it possible to use javascript to call a perl script on a local machine?

      I want to create a search engine for my locally stored files, which
      include wget fetched archives.
    • Matthew K
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2012
        You can use ActiveX and Javascript to do it in IE, pending you set up your browser correctly.
        http://www.olavaukan.com/2010/02/using-activex-to-launch-desktop-applications-from-sharepoint/%c2%a0

        Matt

        >________________________________

      • Shlomi Fish
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2012
          Hi Christopher,

          On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:07:32 +0100
          Christopher Chatfield <chris@...> wrote:

          > Is it possible to use javascript to call a perl script on a local machine?
          >
          > I want to create a search engine for my locally stored files, which
          > include wget fetched archives.

          In addition to what Matthew said about IE and ActiveX, then a custom Firefox
          extension should be able to do it as well (There's
          https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefly/ which is a
          file manager implemented as a Firefox extension), and I also believe you can
          write a Chromium-browser extension for that.

          Otherwise, the more natural way to go along doing something like that is to set
          up a web-service for the search either on http://localhost/ or somewhere else,
          and query it using HTTP.

          Regards,

          Shlomi Fish

        • Paul.G
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
            Hi

            I have written a script that does what I want, but it looks rather messy. Would be interested if any one could indicate how I could make it more efficient. The perl script and output is below.

            #!/usr/bin/perl
            use strict;
            use warnings;

            my @result;
            my $result;
            my $PV;
            my @PV;
            my $junk1;
            my $junk2;
            my $junk3;
            my $AllocatedPE;

            open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/vgdisplay -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name'|");
            undef($/);
            $result = <CMD>;

            @result = split(/\n/,$result);

            foreach $result (@result) {
                      my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);
                      print "$PV   \n";
                      push @PV, $PV;
            }

            foreach $PV (@PV) {
                   open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/pvdisplay $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|");
                   ($junk1, $junk2, $AllocatedPE) = split(/\s+/, <CMD>);
                   if ($AllocatedPE == 0) {
                       print "Unallocated PV with free extents is $PV \n";

            Result:

            /dev/disk/disk46
            /dev/disk/disk48
            /dev/disk/disk47
            Unallocated PV with free extents is /dev/disk/disk48

            cheers

            Paul

            .

          • Shawn H Corey
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
              On 12-04-03 09:18 AM, Paul.G wrote:
              > my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);

              Unused items should be undef:

              my (undef, undef, undef, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);

              You could alternately use an index:

              my $PV = (split(/\s+/, $result))[3];

              --
              Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
              Shawn

              as it is about coding.

              [updated for today's programmers]
              "Show me your code and conceal your interfaces, and I shall continue
              to be mystified. Show me your interfaces, and I won't usually need
              your code; it'll be obvious."
              -- Fred Brooks

              Don't be clever; being great is good enough.
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012

                my @result = grep /PV Name/, `/usr/sbin/vdisplay -v vg03`;

                Paul> foreach $result (@result) {
                Paul>           my ($junk1, $junk2, $junk3, $PV) = split(/\s+/, $result);
                Paul>           print "$PV   \n";
                Paul>           push @PV, $PV;
                Paul> }

                What Shawn said.

                Paul> foreach $PV (@PV) {
                Paul>        open(CMD,"/usr/sbin/pvdisplay $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|");
                Paul>        ($junk1, $junk2, $AllocatedPE) = split(/\s+/, <CMD>);
                Paul>        if ($AllocatedPE == 0) {
                Paul>            print "Unallocated PV with free extents is $PV \n";
                Paul>        }
                Paul> }

              • Matthew K
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                  DISCLAIMER: I don't have vgdisplay, so I can't really test this to see if it works, but it might be a little simpler to start with something closer to this.

                  while (`/usr/sbin/vgdisplay
                  -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name| awk '{print
                  $4}'`) {

                  next if  $_ !~ /^\//;
                        print "Unallocated
                  PV with free extents is $_ \n" unless ( `/usr/sbin/pvdisplay
                  $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|awk '{print $3}'`);
                  }

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012

                    Matthew> while (`/usr/sbin/vgdisplay
                    Matthew> -v vg03 | /usr/bin/grep 'PV Name| awk '{print
                    Matthew> $4}'`) {
                    Matthew>
                    Matthew> next if  $_ !~ /^\//;
                    Matthew>       print "Unallocated
                    Matthew> PV with free extents is $_ \n" unless ( `/usr/sbin/pvdisplay
                    Matthew> $PV | grep 'Allocated PE|awk '{print $3}'`);
                    Matthew> }

                    Oh, hell no. perl, grep, awk, shell! Seriously. :(

                    Also, my public announcement that must be repeated from time to time,
                    as made evidenced above.

                    *
                    * THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL perl BEGINNERS GROUP.
                    *
                    * The official one is at beginners@..., with instructions on how to
                    * join at http://lists.perl.org/list/beginners.html.
                    *
                    * You'll get far better response there, not to say you won't get *any* here.
                    *

                  • Tim Lewis
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                      Please forgive the hijack Randall. Will you be at the Perl conference in Madison?

                    • Randal L. Schwartz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2012
                        YAPC? Yes, I'm doing a two hour git tutorial.

                        Sent from my iPhone, so blame it for any speeling misteaks.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 6, 2012
                          Thanks again for everyone's input, much appreciated.