Re: [PBML] formmail is broken

  • Nicky McCatty
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2012
      Hi David,

      I changed the shebang line in the original Matt's script, but still got the config error.
      Then I uploaded the NMS version after altering @referers, @recipients, and @allow_mail_to, and received the same error.
      After that, I uploaded a virgin copy, but the error persisted.

      Next, I looked up the error log. It indicated that my form code was truncated.

      > [Tue Feb 14 08:57:46 2012] [error] [client 108.14.203.159] Unrecognized character \\x9C at formmail.pl line 752., referer: http://roxburyyouthworks.org/pages/email_test.html
      > [Tue Feb 14 08:57:46 2012] [error] [client 108.14.203.159] Premature end of script headers: formmail.pl, referer: http://roxburyyouthworks.org/pages/email_test.html
      > [Tue Feb 14 09:00:51 2012] [error] [client 108.14.203.159] Unrecognized character \\x9C at formmail.pl line 752., referer: http://roxburyyouthworks.org/pages/email_test.html
      > [Tue Feb 14 09:00:51 2012] [error] [client 108.14.203.159] Premature end of script headers: formmail.pl, referer: http://roxburyyouthworks.org/pages/email_test.html

      I couldn't see what was missing, so I inserted a new form. Now, finally, the form is working, but there is one thing I would like to change. When the user clicks SUBMIT, the result is a page made by formmail. What I want is to get my existing thankyou page: http://roxburyyouthworks.org/pages/thankyou.html.

      I tried placing the desired URL in each of the two possible lines below, but both incurred a misconfig error. Where can I add or alter the code to get my own thankyou page?

      > # You may need to uncomment the line below and adjust the path.
      > # use lib './lib';
      >
      > # USER CUSTOMISATION SECTION
      > # --------------------------
      > # Place any custom code here

      Thanks,
      Nicky

      > On Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:21:16 -0000
      > "mirate" <talk@...> wrote:
      >
      > > This is a website I designed a few years ago. The CONTACT and EMAIL
      > > SUBSCRIBE forms used to work, and they are broken.
      > > When I click on the Submit button, I get a server error saying "The
      > > server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was
      > > unable to complete your request." I don't see what I'm doing wrong.
      >
      > Look in your web server's error_log or similar log file for clues as to
      > what's going wrong.
      >
      > First, though, I'd very strongly suggest replacing that formmail script
      > from Matt's Script Archive with a drop-in replacement from the nms
      > project at: http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/
      >
      > The original script is badly written and insecure.
      >
      > As to why the original script isn't working, when I downloaded it I got
      > extra characters before the shebang line - that's likely the problem.
      >
      > Grab yourself a drop-in replacement FormMail script from the nms
      > project at the link above, and copy it into your cgi-bin directory,
      > make minor configuration changes if required, and you should be good to
      > go.
      >
      > If not, consult your server's error log for more information.
      >
      > --
      > David Precious ("bigpresh") <davidp@...>
      > http://www.preshweb.co.uk/ www.preshweb.co.uk/twitter
      > www.preshweb.co.uk/linkedin www.preshweb.co.uk/facebook