Re: I need to write a Regular Expression

  • andrewsfulton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
      Hello Shawn,

      Thank you again for all your help.

      I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ to work.

      The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php

      Am I doing something wrong?

      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

      > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
      > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
      > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
      > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
      > > redirect.
      >
      > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
      >
      > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
      >

      > --
      > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      > Shawn
      >
      > Programming is as much about organization and communication
      > as it is about coding.
      >
      > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
      > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
      > give up your dreams.

    • andrewsfulton
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

        > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
        > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
        > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
        > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
        > > redirect.
        >
        > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
        >
        > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
        >

        > --
        > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        > Shawn
        >
        > Programming is as much about organization and communication
        > as it is about coding.
        >
        > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
        > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
        > give up your dreams.

      • Shawn H Corey
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
          On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
          > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
          > to work.
          >
          > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
          >
          > Am I doing something wrong?

          You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
          Perl:

          #!/usr/bin/perl

          use strict;
          use warnings;

          while( <DATA> ){
          if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
          print "matched: $_";
          }else{
          print "not: $_";

          __DATA__
          Account Number
          Account #
          Member Number
          Member #
          this is a test

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
            Hello Shawn,

            That makes sense.

            It does work on a Perl validator: http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Test_Regular_Expression_Match_Pattern.php

            I thought I needed this in Perl, My companies site has a validator as well and it did not catch the phrase. I wonder if it is actually using Java.

            If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

            > On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
            > > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
            > > to work.
            > >
            > > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
            > >
            > > Am I doing something wrong?
            >
            > You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
            > Perl:
            >
            > #!/usr/bin/perl
            >
            > use strict;
            > use warnings;
            >
            > while( <DATA> ){
            > if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
            > print "matched: $_";
            > }else{
            > print "not: $_";
            >
            > __DATA__
            > Account Number
            > Account #
            > Member Number
            > Member #
            > this is a test
            >

            > --
            > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            > Shawn
            >
            > Programming is as much about organization and communication
            > as it is about coding.
            >
            > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
            > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
            > give up your dreams.

          • Shawn H Corey
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
              On 11-11-29 11:35 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
              > If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

              Don't know; don't use Java. Or do you mean Javascript?

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                Sorry, i meant Javascript