Re: [PBML] Re: I need to write a Regular Expression

  • Shawn H Corey
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
      On 11-11-28 05:42 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
      > I'm guessing this would be case specific, so would I ammend this to:
      > /(?:Account|Member|account|member) (?:\#|Number|number)/ if such were
      > the case?

      /(?:[Aa]ccount|[Mm]ember) (?:\#|[Nn]umber)/

      or

      /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/i

      --
      Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      Shawn

      as it is about coding.

      Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
      strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
      give up your dreams.
    • andrewsfulton
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
        Hello Shawn,

        Thank you again for all your help.

        I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ to work.

        The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php

        Am I doing something wrong?

        --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

        > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
        > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
        > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
        > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
        > > redirect.
        >
        > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
        >
        > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
        >

        > --
        > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        > Shawn
        >
        > Programming is as much about organization and communication
        > as it is about coding.
        >
        > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
        > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
        > give up your dreams.

      • andrewsfulton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

          > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
          > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
          > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
          > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
          > > redirect.
          >
          > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
          >
          > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
          >

          > --
          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          > Shawn
          >
          > Programming is as much about organization and communication
          > as it is about coding.
          >
          > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
          > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
          > give up your dreams.

        • Shawn H Corey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
            On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
            > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
            > to work.
            >
            > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
            >
            > Am I doing something wrong?

            You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
            Perl:

            #!/usr/bin/perl

            use strict;
            use warnings;

            while( <DATA> ){
            if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
            print "matched: $_";
            }else{
            print "not: $_";

            __DATA__
            Account Number
            Account #
            Member Number
            Member #
            this is a test

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
              Hello Shawn,

              That makes sense.

              It does work on a Perl validator: http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Test_Regular_Expression_Match_Pattern.php

              I thought I needed this in Perl, My companies site has a validator as well and it did not catch the phrase. I wonder if it is actually using Java.

              If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

              > On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
              > > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
              > > to work.
              > >
              > > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
              > >
              > > Am I doing something wrong?
              >
              > You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
              > Perl:
              >
              > #!/usr/bin/perl
              >
              > use strict;
              > use warnings;
              >
              > while( <DATA> ){
              > if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
              > print "matched: $_";
              > }else{
              > print "not: $_";
              >
              > __DATA__
              > Account Number
              > Account #
              > Member Number
              > Member #
              > this is a test
              >

              > --
              > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
              > Shawn
              >
              > Programming is as much about organization and communication
              > as it is about coding.
              >
              > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
              > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
              > give up your dreams.

            • Shawn H Corey
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                On 11-11-29 11:35 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                > If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

                Don't know; don't use Java. Or do you mean Javascript?

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                  Sorry, i meant Javascript