Re: I need to write a Regular Expression

  • andrewsfulton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
      --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

      > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
      > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
      > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
      > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
      > > redirect.
      >
      > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
      >
      > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
      >

      > --
      > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
      > Shawn
      >
      > Programming is as much about organization and communication
      > as it is about coding.
      >
      > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
      > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
      > give up your dreams.

      Thank you a ton Shawn!

      I'm guessing this would be case specific, so would I ammend this to:
      /(?:Account|Member|account|member) (?:\#|Number|number)/ if such were the case?

    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
        On 11-11-28 05:42 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
        > I'm guessing this would be case specific, so would I ammend this to:
        > /(?:Account|Member|account|member) (?:\#|Number|number)/ if such were
        > the case?

        /(?:[Aa]ccount|[Mm]ember) (?:\#|[Nn]umber)/

        or

        /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/i

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
          Hello Shawn,

          Thank you again for all your help.

          I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ to work.

          The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php

          Am I doing something wrong?

          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

          > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
          > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
          > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
          > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
          > > redirect.
          >
          > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
          >
          > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
          >

          > --
          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          > Shawn
          >
          > Programming is as much about organization and communication
          > as it is about coding.
          >
          > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
          > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
          > give up your dreams.

        • andrewsfulton
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
            --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

            > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
            > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
            > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
            > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
            > > redirect.
            >
            > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
            >
            > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
            >

            > --
            > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
            > Shawn
            >
            > Programming is as much about organization and communication
            > as it is about coding.
            >
            > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
            > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
            > give up your dreams.

          • Shawn H Corey
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
              On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
              > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
              > to work.
              >
              > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
              >
              > Am I doing something wrong?

              You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
              Perl:

              #!/usr/bin/perl

              use strict;
              use warnings;

              while( <DATA> ){
              if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
              print "matched: $_";
              }else{
              print "not: $_";

              __DATA__
              Account Number
              Account #
              Member Number
              Member #
              this is a test

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                Hello Shawn,

                That makes sense.

                It does work on a Perl validator: http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Test_Regular_Expression_Match_Pattern.php

                I thought I needed this in Perl, My companies site has a validator as well and it did not catch the phrase. I wonder if it is actually using Java.

                If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

                > On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                > > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
                > > to work.
                > >
                > > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
                > >
                > > Am I doing something wrong?
                >
                > You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
                > Perl:
                >
                > #!/usr/bin/perl
                >
                > use strict;
                > use warnings;
                >
                > while( <DATA> ){
                > if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
                > print "matched: $_";
                > }else{
                > print "not: $_";
                >
                > __DATA__
                > Account Number
                > Account #
                > Member Number
                > Member #
                > this is a test
                >

                > --
                > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                > Shawn
                >
                > Programming is as much about organization and communication
                > as it is about coding.
                >
                > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
                > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
                > give up your dreams.

              • Shawn H Corey
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                  On 11-11-29 11:35 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                  > If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

                  Don't know; don't use Java. Or do you mean Javascript?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                    Sorry, i meant Javascript