I need to write a Regular Expression

  • andrewsfulton
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
      Hello,

      I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #", Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message redirect.

      Anyhow I'm on a deadline and My companies professional services can't help me in time.

      Thank you in advance

      - Andy
    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
        On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
        > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
        > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
        > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
        > redirect.

        /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/

        See `perldoc perlre` for details.

        --
        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        Shawn

        as it is about coding.

        Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
        strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
        give up your dreams.
      • andrewsfulton
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
          --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

          > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
          > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
          > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
          > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
          > > redirect.
          >
          > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
          >
          > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
          >

          > --
          > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
          > Shawn
          >
          > Programming is as much about organization and communication
          > as it is about coding.
          >
          > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
          > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
          > give up your dreams.

          Thank you a ton Shawn!

          I'm guessing this would be case specific, so would I ammend this to:
          /(?:Account|Member|account|member) (?:\#|Number|number)/ if such were the case?

        • Shawn H Corey
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 28, 2011
            On 11-11-28 05:42 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
            > I'm guessing this would be case specific, so would I ammend this to:
            > /(?:Account|Member|account|member) (?:\#|Number|number)/ if such were
            > the case?

            /(?:[Aa]ccount|[Mm]ember) (?:\#|[Nn]umber)/

            or

            /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/i

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
              Hello Shawn,

              Thank you again for all your help.

              I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ to work.

              The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php

              Am I doing something wrong?

              --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

              > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
              > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
              > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
              > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
              > > redirect.
              >
              > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
              >
              > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
              >

              > --
              > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
              > Shawn
              >
              > Programming is as much about organization and communication
              > as it is about coding.
              >
              > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
              > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
              > give up your dreams.

            • andrewsfulton
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

                > On 11-11-28 04:54 PM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                > > I want to first thank you in advance for being gentle, I am WAY over my
                > > head. I need to write a Regular Expression that will cause "Account #",
                > > Account Number", "Memeber #" and "Member Number" to trigger a message
                > > redirect.
                >
                > /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
                >
                > See `perldoc perlre` for details.
                >

                > --
                > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                > Shawn
                >
                > Programming is as much about organization and communication
                > as it is about coding.
                >
                > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
                > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
                > give up your dreams.

              • Shawn H Corey
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                  On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                  > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
                  > to work.
                  >
                  > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
                  >
                  > Am I doing something wrong?

                  You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
                  Perl:

                  #!/usr/bin/perl

                  use strict;
                  use warnings;

                  while( <DATA> ){
                  if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
                  print "matched: $_";
                  }else{
                  print "not: $_";

                  __DATA__
                  Account Number
                  Account #
                  Member Number
                  Member #
                  this is a test

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                    Hello Shawn,

                    That makes sense.

                    It does work on a Perl validator: http://sqa.fyicenter.com/Online_Test_Tools/Test_Regular_Expression_Match_Pattern.php

                    I thought I needed this in Perl, My companies site has a validator as well and it did not catch the phrase. I wonder if it is actually using Java.

                    If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

                    --- In perl-beginner@yahoogroups.com, Shawn H Corey <shawnhcorey@...> wrote:

                    > On 11-11-29 10:53 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                    > > I'm not able to get this expression: /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/
                    > > to work.
                    > >
                    > > The validation tool I used is: http://www.sweeting.org/mark/html/revalid.php
                    > >
                    > > Am I doing something wrong?
                    >
                    > You are using a Javascript regex evaluator on a Perl regex. It works in
                    > Perl:
                    >
                    > #!/usr/bin/perl
                    >
                    > use strict;
                    > use warnings;
                    >
                    > while( <DATA> ){
                    > if( /(?:Account|Member) (?:\#|Number)/ ){
                    > print "matched: $_";
                    > }else{
                    > print "not: $_";
                    >
                    > __DATA__
                    > Account Number
                    > Account #
                    > Member Number
                    > Member #
                    > this is a test
                    >

                    > --
                    > Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
                    > Shawn
                    >
                    > Programming is as much about organization and communication
                    > as it is about coding.
                    >
                    > Never give up your dreams. Give up your goals, plans,
                    > strategy, tactics, and anything that's not working but never
                    > give up your dreams.

                  • Shawn H Corey
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                      On 11-11-29 11:35 AM, andrewsfulton wrote:
                      > If its not to much to ask, what would the Java expression look like?

                      Don't know; don't use Java. Or do you mean Javascript?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 29, 2011
                        Sorry, i meant Javascript