Re: [PBML] need perl script to upload a file to my website

  • Snehakala Bandaru
    Message 1 of 15 , May 25, 2011
      Hi Randal,

      I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded to web interface : URL

      I hope i answered your question.

      Basically i run some commands in unix and the results file i want it to be uploaded  onto a website which is accessed by all project memebers for quick updates about the project status.

      regards
      pai_boss

      Message 2 of 15 , May 25, 2011
        On Wednesday 25 May 2011 20:03:36 Snehakala Bandaru wrote:
        > Hi Randal,
        >
        > I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded to web
        > interface : URL
        > I hope i answered your question.

        Sorry, but that doesn't answer the most important question.

        How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files to
        your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV?

        > Basically i run some commands in unix and the results file i want it to be
        > uploaded onto a website which is accessed by all project memebers for
        > quick updates about the project status.

        You'll need to provide more details in order to get useful help.

        Start with the question I asked above (which Randal already asked you). Also,
        what have you tried so far?

        Cheers

        Dave P

        --
        David Precious ("bigpresh")
        http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

        "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
        it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 2011

          Snehakala> I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded
          Snehakala> to web interface : URL

          Snehakala> I hope i answered your question.

          Not at all.

          http is a fetch protocol, not an upload protocol.

          There are two basic ways to get things back onto a web server:

          (1) a web form that has a "file upload" component, along with a
          server-side application that vets the data and deploys it to the
          webserver serving area

          (2) some form of ftp or sftp operation that copies the data to
          the webserver serving area

          Which of those are you talking about?

        • Snehakala Bandaru
          Message 4 of 15 , May 25, 2011
            Hi Randal,

             I am not a programmer, so i didnt know the appropriate definitions. Thanks for clarifying.

            I am looking for fetch protocol.

            regards
            pai_boss

            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 2011

              Snehakala> I am not a programmer, so i didnt know the appropriate
              Snehakala> definitions. Thanks for clarifying.

              Snehakala> I am looking for fetch protocol.

              This is spiraling downhill now. No, I said "http is a fetch protocol"
              specifically to let you know that http could *not* be used to push the
              data up to the server. So you need to choose another means.

              You can't "put something at http://example.com/foo.txt". It doesn't
              make sense. (Well, there are some rare servers that understand a PUT
              command in HTTP, but I'm trying not to confuse you with that. :)

              And since you're not a programmer, the next step will be to find a
              programmer near you, and either he/she will be able to do it, or they
              can ask us the questions they need.

              This mailing list is not for end-user support. It's a
              programmer-to-programmer assistance forum.

            • Rajagopal, Jay
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                Hi Sneha,
                Not to discourage you, but,
                This specific task requires more than a programmer. A engineer who can analyze the environment and add right components with eye on security.
                Thanks
                Jay

                Snehakala> I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded
                Snehakala> to web interface : URL

                Snehakala> I hope i answered your question.

                Not at all.

                http is a fetch protocol, not an upload protocol.

                There are two basic ways to get things back onto a web server:

                (1) a web form that has a "file upload" component, along with a server-side application that vets the data and deploys it to the webserver serving area

                (2) some form of ftp or sftp operation that copies the data to the webserver serving area

                Which of those are you talking about?

                --
                Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

                T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

                The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
              • Rajagopal, Jay
                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                  Dave,

                  // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //

                  The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to upload. But her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.

                  // Also, what have you tried so far?//

                  So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to solve the problem.

                  With regards
                  Jay

                  On Wednesday 25 May 2011 20:03:36 Snehakala Bandaru wrote:
                  > Hi Randal,
                  >
                  > I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded to web
                  > interface : URL I hope i answered your question.

                  Sorry, but that doesn't answer the most important question.

                  How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV?

                  > Basically i run some commands in unix and the results file i want it to be
                  > uploaded onto a website which is accessed by all project memebers for
                  > quick updates about the project status.

                  You'll need to provide more details in order to get useful help.

                  Start with the question I asked above (which Randal already asked you). Also,
                  what have you tried so far?

                  Cheers

                  Dave P

                  --
                  David Precious ("bigpresh")
                  http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

                  "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
                  it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)

                  T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

                  The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
                • David Precious
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                    On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:29:01 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                    > // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files
                    > to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //
                    >
                    > The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to upload. But
                    > her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.
                    >
                    > // Also, what have you tried so far?//
                    >
                    > So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to solve the
                    > problem.

                    Sounds like she lied.

                    I don't mean to be harsh, but so far, from your posts, I surmise that:

                    - You don't know how the file will be uploaded
                    - You don't know how to write some code to upload the file
                    - You aren't asking for a little help to write that code, but rather for it
                    to be done for you.

                    Now, we're[0] happy to help assist Perl beginners with anything they stumble
                    with whilst learning Perl or trying to overcome problems / stumbling blocks,
                    but we're not here to write code for you; doubly so when it's not even clear
                    how said code needs to work.

                    You're going to need to go away and do the legwork to figure out what exactly
                    it is you *need*. ("To upload a file" is not enough; that's akin to asking a
                    mechanic to "fix my car", without telling him what car you have, or what the
                    problem is. And without letting him see the car. And expecting it fixed for
                    free.)

                    Cheers

                    Dave P

                    [0] (not that I speak as any kind of official voice)

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                      Heheh.. Dave,
                      I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha ) probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                      On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:29:01 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                      > // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload
                      > files to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //
                      >
                      > The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to
                      > upload. But her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.
                      >
                      > // Also, what have you tried so far?//
                      >
                      > So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to
                      > solve the problem.

                      Sounds like she lied.

                      I don't mean to be harsh, but so far, from your posts, I surmise that:

                      - You don't know how the file will be uploaded
                      - You don't know how to write some code to upload the file
                      - You aren't asking for a little help to write that code, but rather for it
                      to be done for you.

                      Now, we're[0] happy to help assist Perl beginners with anything they stumble with whilst learning Perl or trying to overcome problems / stumbling blocks, but we're not here to write code for you; doubly so when it's not even clear how said code needs to work.

                      You're going to need to go away and do the legwork to figure out what exactly it is you *need*. ("To upload a file" is not enough; that's akin to asking a mechanic to "fix my car", without telling him what car you have, or what the problem is. And without letting him see the car. And expecting it fixed for
                      free.)

                      Cheers

                      Dave P

                      [0] (not that I speak as any kind of official voice)

                      --
                      David Precious ("bigpresh")
                      http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

                      "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
                      it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)

                      T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

                      The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
                    • Murugesan M
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                        Hi,

                        Please check this site

                        http://www.perlfect.com/articles/upload.shtml

                        On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Rajagopal, Jay <
                        jay_rajagopal@...> wrote:

                        > Heheh.. Dave,
                        > I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha )
                        > probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                        Murugesan M
                        +91 8870001700

                      • David Precious
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                          On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:39:45 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                          > I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha )
                          > probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                          Apologies, I'd confused you with the OP - lack of sleep I think!
                        • Snehakala Bandaru
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                            Hi Randal,

                            Thanks for the info. There is something called groovy to interface between unix and wiki. perl is also supported on our wiki. but i think i will go with unix. All i have to do is just link the unix file to wiki, cant be more simple than this.

                            Thanks Randal for the all the technical help. Appreciate it.

                            Rest all you guys thanks for the gossip, but haven't really gone through it, my son keeps me busy.

                            Thanks
                            pai_boss.