Re: [PBML] need perl script to upload a file to my website

    Message 1 of 15 , May 24, 2011
      >>>>> "pai" == pai boss <write2sneha@...> writes:

      pai> I want a simple perl script which takes my file results.txt and
      pai> uploads it in the site http://my_company_project_site/results.txt

      pai> How can i do it?

      You haven't said what protocol you want to use for the upload.

      Do you want a web interface, where you use one web page to upload a file
      selected by the user, which becomes the URL you mention?

      Or do you want to upload the file by sftp or WebDAV or some other file
      transfer protocol?

    • Shawn H Corey
      Message 2 of 15 , May 24, 2011
        On 11-05-24 04:25 PM, pai_boss wrote:
        > I want a simple perl script which takes my file results.txt and uploads it in the sitehttp://my_company_project_site/results.txt
        >
        > How can i do it?

        Yes, see `perldoc Net::FTP` Net::FTP is a standard module that is
        installed along with Perl. To get a list of all the modules and
        pragmatics, see `perldoc perlmodlib`.

        --
        Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
        Shawn

        Confusion is the first step of understanding.

        as it is about coding.

        The secret to great software: Fail early & often.

        Eliminate software piracy: use only FLOSS.
      • Snehakala Bandaru
        Message 3 of 15 , May 25, 2011
          Hi Randal,

          I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded to web interface : URL

          I hope i answered your question.

          Basically i run some commands in unix and the results file i want it to be uploaded  onto a website which is accessed by all project memebers for quick updates about the project status.

          regards
          pai_boss

          Message 4 of 15 , May 25, 2011
            On Wednesday 25 May 2011 20:03:36 Snehakala Bandaru wrote:
            > Hi Randal,
            >
            > I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded to web
            > interface : URL
            > I hope i answered your question.

            Sorry, but that doesn't answer the most important question.

            How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files to
            your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV?

            > Basically i run some commands in unix and the results file i want it to be
            > uploaded onto a website which is accessed by all project memebers for
            > quick updates about the project status.

            You'll need to provide more details in order to get useful help.

            Start with the question I asked above (which Randal already asked you). Also,
            what have you tried so far?

            Cheers

            Dave P

            --
            David Precious ("bigpresh")
            http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

            "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
            it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)
            Message 5 of 15 , May 25, 2011

              Snehakala> I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded
              Snehakala> to web interface : URL

              Snehakala> I hope i answered your question.

              Not at all.

              http is a fetch protocol, not an upload protocol.

              There are two basic ways to get things back onto a web server:

              (1) a web form that has a "file upload" component, along with a
              server-side application that vets the data and deploys it to the
              webserver serving area

              (2) some form of ftp or sftp operation that copies the data to
              the webserver serving area

              Which of those are you talking about?

            • Snehakala Bandaru
              Message 6 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                Hi Randal,

                 I am not a programmer, so i didnt know the appropriate definitions. Thanks for clarifying.

                I am looking for fetch protocol.

                regards
                pai_boss

                Message 7 of 15 , May 25, 2011

                  Snehakala> I am not a programmer, so i didnt know the appropriate
                  Snehakala> definitions. Thanks for clarifying.

                  Snehakala> I am looking for fetch protocol.

                  This is spiraling downhill now. No, I said "http is a fetch protocol"
                  specifically to let you know that http could *not* be used to push the
                  data up to the server. So you need to choose another means.

                  You can't "put something at http://example.com/foo.txt". It doesn't
                  make sense. (Well, there are some rare servers that understand a PUT
                  command in HTTP, but I'm trying not to confuse you with that. :)

                  And since you're not a programmer, the next step will be to find a
                  programmer near you, and either he/she will be able to do it, or they
                  can ask us the questions they need.

                  This mailing list is not for end-user support. It's a
                  programmer-to-programmer assistance forum.

                • Rajagopal, Jay
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                    Hi Sneha,
                    Not to discourage you, but,
                    This specific task requires more than a programmer. A engineer who can analyze the environment and add right components with eye on security.
                    Thanks
                    Jay

                    Snehakala> I have file in my unix area and want that file to be uploaded
                    Snehakala> to web interface : URL

                    Snehakala> I hope i answered your question.

                    Not at all.

                    http is a fetch protocol, not an upload protocol.

                    There are two basic ways to get things back onto a web server:

                    (1) a web form that has a "file upload" component, along with a server-side application that vets the data and deploys it to the webserver serving area

                    (2) some form of ftp or sftp operation that copies the data to the webserver serving area

                    Which of those are you talking about?

                    --
                    Randal L. Schwartz - Stonehenge Consulting Services, Inc. - +1 503 777 0095 <merlyn@...> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

                    T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

                    The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
                  • Rajagopal, Jay
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                      Dave,

                      // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //

                      The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to upload. But her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.

                      // Also, what have you tried so far?//

                      So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to solve the problem.

                      With regards
                      Jay

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                        On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:29:01 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                        > // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload files
                        > to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //
                        >
                        > The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to upload. But
                        > her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.
                        >
                        > // Also, what have you tried so far?//
                        >
                        > So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to solve the
                        > problem.

                        Sounds like she lied.

                        I don't mean to be harsh, but so far, from your posts, I surmise that:

                        - You don't know how the file will be uploaded
                        - You don't know how to write some code to upload the file
                        - You aren't asking for a little help to write that code, but rather for it
                        to be done for you.

                        Now, we're[0] happy to help assist Perl beginners with anything they stumble
                        with whilst learning Perl or trying to overcome problems / stumbling blocks,
                        but we're not here to write code for you; doubly so when it's not even clear
                        how said code needs to work.

                        You're going to need to go away and do the legwork to figure out what exactly
                        it is you *need*. ("To upload a file" is not enough; that's akin to asking a
                        mechanic to "fix my car", without telling him what car you have, or what the
                        problem is. And without letting him see the car. And expecting it fixed for
                        free.)

                        Cheers

                        Dave P

                        [0] (not that I speak as any kind of official voice)

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                          Heheh.. Dave,
                          I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha ) probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                          On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:29:01 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                          > // How do you propose to upload the file? How do you usually upload
                          > files to your webspace? FTP? SFTP? SCP? WebDAV? //
                          >
                          > The person who initiated this query did not propose anything to
                          > upload. But her manager did it. She is not responsible for it.
                          >
                          > // Also, what have you tried so far?//
                          >
                          > So far, she has promised her manager/clients that she knew how to
                          > solve the problem.

                          Sounds like she lied.

                          I don't mean to be harsh, but so far, from your posts, I surmise that:

                          - You don't know how the file will be uploaded
                          - You don't know how to write some code to upload the file
                          - You aren't asking for a little help to write that code, but rather for it
                          to be done for you.

                          Now, we're[0] happy to help assist Perl beginners with anything they stumble with whilst learning Perl or trying to overcome problems / stumbling blocks, but we're not here to write code for you; doubly so when it's not even clear how said code needs to work.

                          You're going to need to go away and do the legwork to figure out what exactly it is you *need*. ("To upload a file" is not enough; that's akin to asking a mechanic to "fix my car", without telling him what car you have, or what the problem is. And without letting him see the car. And expecting it fixed for
                          free.)

                          Cheers

                          Dave P

                          [0] (not that I speak as any kind of official voice)

                          --
                          David Precious ("bigpresh")
                          http://www.preshweb.co.uk/

                          "Programming is like sex. One mistake and you have to support
                          it for the rest of your life". (Michael Sinz)

                          T. Rowe Price (including T. Rowe Price Group, Inc. and its affiliates) and its associates do not provide legal or tax advice. Any tax-related discussion contained in this e-mail, including any attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to any other party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Please consult your independent legal counsel and/or professional tax advisor regarding any legal or tax issues raised in this e-mail.

                          The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by the sender and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.
                        • Murugesan M
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                            Hi,

                            Please check this site

                            http://www.perlfect.com/articles/upload.shtml

                            On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM, Rajagopal, Jay <
                            jay_rajagopal@...> wrote:

                            > Heheh.. Dave,
                            > I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha )
                            > probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                            Murugesan M
                            +91 8870001700

                          • David Precious
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                              On Wednesday 25 May 2011 22:39:45 Rajagopal, Jay wrote:
                              > I did not ask the question.. I just guessed what she ( pai_boss or sneha )
                              > probably did before writing to this group and and mentioned it.

                              Apologies, I'd confused you with the OP - lack of sleep I think!
                            • Snehakala Bandaru
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 25, 2011
                                Hi Randal,

                                Thanks for the info. There is something called groovy to interface between unix and wiki. perl is also supported on our wiki. but i think i will go with unix. All i have to do is just link the unix file to wiki, cant be more simple than this.

                                Thanks Randal for the all the technical help. Appreciate it.

                                Rest all you guys thanks for the gossip, but haven't really gone through it, my son keeps me busy.

                                Thanks
                                pai_boss.